Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Vegetable and Swiss Cheese Gratin


Lately I have been on a mushroom kick. I chock it up to pregnancy because usually mushrooms are not the first things that I rush to cook with. I know that I have mentioned it before, but really, I could take or leave them. They have to be cooked just right, not too much to the point of mush and not too little because raw mushrooms and me...yeah we aren't big pals. I've got a thing with textures for sure. Plus anything that is called "fungus" just makes me kind of leery from the start.

I'm seeking help.

Part of my hope in getting over some of my food aversions is to cook using them often. And luckily mushrooms around here have been on sale. It's like a sign!

This meal uses another cheese that I don't normally rush to use, which is swiss. The result was an awesome dish that tasted even better the next day reheated. In fact, I am eating a little bit now as I watch the season finale of Top Chef. Multi-tasking at it's best, right?



Vegetable and Swiss Cheese Gratin
6 medium-size potatoes (I used yukon golds)
3 cups broccoli
6 stalks asparagus, cut into thirds (use more or less, this is just what I had)
1 cup green onions, chopped
1 tbsp butter
8 oz sliced mushrooms
16 oz shredded swiss cheese
salt and pepper

In a large sauce pan, place the potatoes and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and let bubble for 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are just fork tender. Remove the potatoes from the water and set aside to cool. Once cooled, slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices.

Return the water (add more if you need) to a boil and add the broccoli and asparagus and blanch for 2 minutes. Remove from the water and set aside.

Meanwhile in a medium non-stick skillet, saute the mushrooms and green onions in butter until the mushrooms are cooked and the water has evaporated.

Spray a 9by13 pan with cooking spray. Layer the bottom with half of the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over 1/3 of cheese. Layer mushroom mixture, then green veggies. Sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Add another 1/3 of cheese, then the remaining potatoes. Salt and pepper again. Cover with remaining cheese.

Bake in 350° F oven for 30 minutes until heated through. Turn the heat on to broil and leave the gratin under the broiler until the top is golden.

Serve with a salad and enjoy!

5 comments:

Brandy L said...

That looks so good. Eat whatever you crave, i did. :D

TKW said...

Yum! I think this would also be a great addition to Christmas dinner!

teresa said...

isn't it funny what being pregnant can do to your taste buds! this looks wonderful!

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

It sounds so good with Swiss cheese! I am not a huge lover of mushrooms either, it's not the flavor, but the texture. This looks comforting!

Tracychele @ The Week-Ender said...

That sounds really good. Thanks for the recipe. Enjoy getting to eat what you want! It is not always that way, you know?! Thanks for the recipe. Have a great day!