Sunday, November 1, 2009

Stuffed Mushrooms and a WINNER!


I think it's safe to say that when I am ordering an appetizer it 9 times out of 10 will be stuffed mushrooms. What is crazy is that I don't even enjoy mushrooms that much! However, stuff some cream cheese in those little fungi and (even better) fry them up and I'll take the bait every time.

And considering that we rarely eat out anymore, ordering these wonderful morsels is just a simple treat.

So, as my birthday meal approached, I could think of nothing better than to whip up some stuffed mushrooms of my own. I didn't go all out and fry them up, but the results were so good that that extra step wasn't even missed at all.

Stuffed Mushrooms
6 large button mushrooms, wiped clean with a damp cloth
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
salt and pepper

Set the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.

Remove the stems from the mushrooms and cut off the tough ends. Finely mince 4 of the stems (or enough to make about 1/4 cup).

In a small saute pan, add a teaspoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushroom stems and saute until most of the water has been removed, about 5 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic. Cook for about 30 seconds, or until the garlic is softened and fragrant. See aside to cool slightly.

Meanwhile, combine about 3 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese with the remaining ingredients. Once the mushroom mixture is cooled, add it to the cheese mixture and stir to combine.

To assemble the mushroom caps, take about a tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture and stuff them into the mushrooms. Top with the remaining parmesan cheese.

Place the mushrooms on the baking sheet and place in the oven for about 20 minutes. Serve with ranch or (my favorite) barbecue sauce and enjoy!



I'd like to thank those of you that entered my first giveaway! I thought I would be official and use the random integer dealy to pick my winner, but of course I can't figure out how to show the page. One of these days I'll get all the pieces in working order, but I hope for now you'll take my word for it!

Congratulations: Sweet and Savory Says It All! I have forwarded your email to the DM folks. Look for your gift certificate in your email inbox soon!

13 comments:

Chow and Chatter said...

oh i would so order your mushrooms

Katy ~ said...

These do sound special, and would make a nice and appreciated appearance at a party.

Happy Birthday! Many happy,happy returns.

Anncoo said...

A simple recipe and sounds delicious!

Sweet and Savory said...

I am excited. I have a pregnant daughter-in-law who I am sure is going to be surprised and happy.

I have not won anything in years. It feels good.

Thanks for the gift and for running it.

I am glad I found you.

All the best.

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

I could love a mushroom prepared like this!

I feel so bad - I totally forgot to come back that day to enter your giveaway. I'm sorry! Congrats to Chaya!

Hope you had a great b-day!

The Blonde Duck said...

Happy belated b-day! Im glad to see you back!!!

5 Star Foodie said...

Yummy stuffed mushrooms!

Sophia said...

Happy belated birthday! Haha, we have close birthdays...

I don't think I've had a stuffed mushroom before...must remedy that!

Velva said...

Stuffed mushrooms! Yum! You are right, those little fungi just take on a new world of tatse when they are stuffed.

teresa said...

this sounds so good! i love mushrooms and cream cheese!

Christine aka Mistress of Cakes said...

I was drinking tea when I read how you feel about mushrooms. I would like to report that tea doesn't feel good when it goes through your nose. In order to prevent doing anymore harm to my nostrils I will no longer be drinking tea while I read your blog. That is all.

Anyway congrats on your first giveaway..and I do love your blog!

Lele said...

That sounds so delicious and SIMPLE! I love getting stuffed mushrooms when I go out- why has it never occurred to me to make them at home?

Sweet and Savory said...

Hi, Just wanted you to know that I never heard about the prize. No big deal but you should be aware that they might not have followed up.