Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cranberry Beef Stew


It's crazy how nice the weather has been over the last two days! I can't believe that it is already November. The only clue you would have around here is all the leaves on the ground.
Once November starts, I get all sorts of giddy. Cranberries are among my favorite foods, so naturally, this is the season for me to stock up on one of my favorite snacks, dried cranberries. Now that the month is here, cranberries of ALL types are not only readily available, but are on sale to boot! Plus, while I was picking up a few things at the grocery store the other day, I found that beef stew meat was on sale, too. Score! I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but I knew that I needed to utilize my cranberry obsession.

Of course, I happen to pick one of the warmest days in the history of November to make stew, but by evening, the wind flowing through our open windows was crisp and cool, providing the ideal atmosphere for enjoying this dish.



Cranberry Beef Stew

1 lb beef stew meat
1 tbsp flour
salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup hot water
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1/3 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb egg noodles

Combine the beef and the flour, salt and pepper, tossing to coat.
In a large saute pan with high sides, add the oil over medium-high heat.
Once hot, add the meat and sear. Add the onion and celery. Once softened, add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Let the stew come to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour.
Remove the lid, and let the stew continue to bubble and thicken while you prepare your egg noodles.

Once the egg noodles are ready, drain and place in a large serving bowl. Top with the stew. Enjoy!


19 comments:

Sweet and Savory said...

This is a great combination. I use cranberry sauce in my meat sauces and it adds real flavor.

I never thought of using it for stew. Now, I hope I remember to try it.

Anncoo said...

Never try to use cranberry sauce in stew. Will bookmark this ~ Thank you!

5 Star Foodie said...

What a great idea to flavor beef stew with cranberries, delicious!

Sara said...

"Cranberry" in the name of this recipe caught my eye. This looks wonderful.

teresa said...

oooh, what a great combination of foods! this looks so yummy!

Katy ~ said...

My mouth is WATERING for this. It sounds soooo flavorful! Thank you for such a delicious post!!

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

This is so unique! And a great idea. I bet it was positively delicious! I love cranberries too!

Emily said...

I'm eager to start using cranberries this year.

This sounds so spicy and flavorful!

Ginger said...

That seriously sounds so unique and delicious!! Cranberries are my all time favorite! Thank you for sharing this recipe it is now on my "MUST TRY" list!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Wow does this ever look good and you have me so curious about the dimension that the cranberries add to the stew.

I didn't get to try the enchilada soup this weekend, but I'm definitely going to make it next weekend!

Christy said...

Love the idea of cranberries in with stew. Delish!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

The beef stew with cranberries sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm thinking it will be fantastic closer to the holidays... It just sounds like a hearty, comforting dish to make while wrapping presents and baking :)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Adding cranberries sounds delicious!

Donna-FFW said...

Never thought to use cranberries in a stew.. how delicious. What a fantastic idea. I love it.

Confessions Of A Working Mom said...

Oooooh, that recipe looks so good! My hubby does all the cooking (I burn PB&J... don't know how, but I mess up everything I touch in the kitchen, other than the cleaning supplies), so I'll have to hand that off to him!

And reading your first line about "how nice" the weather's been... it's been raining here for 3 days straight. I think I'm going to build an ark.

~Elizabeth
http://confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Christine aka Mistress of Cakes said...

Oh my gosh Ibet that is so tasty!

Karine said...

INteresting combo of flavors in your recipe. It sounds delicious! :)

Elsa said...

good!:)))國民旅遊卡,麻辣火鍋,喝水,多喝水,火車,喝水,火花,多喝水,喝茶,四物湯,喝水,喝茶論壇,吃喝玩樂,鹼質好喝,啤酒,程式,多喝水,喝水程式,生化湯,檸檬水,喝水,喝水,喝酒,喝茶,喝水,羊奶,喝茶吃魚,經痛,桂格,吃吃喝喝,黑松,羊奶,軍火,豆漿,喝酒,喝水,喝水,喝多少水,喝茶,喝水,台中,喝水,天堂,台中,青花瓷,菜花,聊天,民宿,線上,花岩山林,秘密花園,名模花花,花朵,寶徠,林家花園,花蓮美食,清潔,花語,白河,流星花園,熱水器,花園歌,民宿,電影城,花蓮房屋,蔡依林,流星花園,火花遊戲,桃花,夜市