Sunday, October 18, 2009

Best Laid Plans

I hate my computer sometimes. Each time I tried to get on to do some blog work, Firefox wouldn't respond, Internet Explorer would just cut out. It was maddening. But, you did come here to listen to my complaining.

I did spend a lovely portion of my day cleaning out the sous chef's closets. Boxing up the old, getting out the old to #1/new to #2 stuff. Good times!

I really want to get back on the blogwagon...ha, get it? So, I thought I'd start with my soup tonight. I've been meaning to make this soup for a long time and I am so glad that I did! It was hearty and delicious and really besides the baking of the potatoes took no time at all.
Total comfort food.

Chunky Baked Potato Soup
3 large (about 3 pounds) of baking potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken broth
3 cups skim milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
cheddar cheese
bacon

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees, scrub your potatoes and poke some holes with a fork. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Meanwhile, you can go ahead and prepare your bacon (if you dig on swine). Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. Lay the bacon strips on top of the rack and bake in the same 425 degree oven for 17-20 minutes (depending on thickness and desired doneness). Set aside to cool, cut into small strips.

Once the potatoes are cooked, set them aside to cool. You can do this the day before even.
When ready to prepare the soup, cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop the potato out with a spoon. I just gave mine a rough chop, but you can do whatever you wish. If you like a smoother soup, just mash the potato.

In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the butter and oil. Once the butter is melted, add the onion and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so. Add the flour and stir to coat the flour in the fats. Using a wisk, slowly add the chicken broth. Once well combined, slowly add the milk, continuing to wisk. Once everything is combined, add back in the potatoes and heavy cream. Salt and pepper to taste. (The bacon I had was kind of salty, so I went easy on the salt). Stir to combine and keep over medium heat. Do not let the soup boil.

Before serving, I added the bacon and a little bit of cheddar cheese to the soup, stirring to combine. This is totally optional. You could just add them as toppings or leave them out all together.

Serve with a side salad, crusty sour dough bread and enjoy!



Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Tracychele @ The Week-Ender said...

OOH, that sounds yummy. I am having company tonight and the only thing I need to get is heavy cream! I will try this one! I hope your computer is back working for you real soon. I love your recipes. I am starting a recipe swap blog. It is new, but I hope you will come by. I am going to link to this soup recipe. Have a great day!

TKW said...

I like that this recipe only has 1/2 cup of cream and uses broth and skim milk for the rest--sounds like a winner!

DeltaWhiskey said...

Glad you're back!

teresa said...

oh that does look like total comfort, delicious!

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

This looks creamy and delicious with the bacon and cheese topping! I am dreading cleaning out my own closet - I am wearing summer clothes with sweat shirts - and freezing! I keep putting it off...

Katy ~ said...

Yummmy, warm, and creamy soup. Potato makes me very happy indeed. This would cheer me on the gloomiest day.

Barbara said...

This is comfort food! yummy!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Your soup looks like some comforting goodness. Potato soup is one of my favorites. Gorgeous photos too!

Sweet and Savory said...

Potatoes and soup make magic for me. Warm and creamy. This goes in the category of comfort foods.

Me! said...

Get a mac! I don't worry about my comp crashing or just being overwhelmed like I did when I had a PC. I guess I am spoiled with my comp that when I used my work computer it is constantly overwhelmed and freezing up and crashing.

leanne said...

Hello. I just found your blog. This looks so yummy! I am making it tonight.

ps...I love my sling! I wear it all the time.