Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Zucchini Whoopie Pies


I am in an odd place, sad that summer is over yet oh SO happy that school is beginning in just two weeks.
I know, weird, right? Shouldn't I be jumping for joy? I can't stand summer, not a big fan of shorts, plus the swim suit and I? We don't really relate. I have become more comfortable in sleeveless, thanks to a weights class at the gym, but I still wish for light sweaters.
Summer just went by and although I am the same person that was complaining about the fact that it was flipping hot outside, I think it was those brief few days that have made me nostalgic. The weather gods smiled down on Kansas and we had the best string of days. Not too hot, a nice breeze, it was just lovely.

Then it turned 100 degrees again. Argh.

Summer had it's good points. The hubs used the grill at least twice a week, awesome. The meals were lighter and always seemed quicker to prepare. But, I miss using my oven daily and the heat that fills the house.

So, I look to fall. I love fall.

One exciting element to this fall is that my oldest sous chef will be in preschool every day this year. I am so excited for her. And, I'll admit it...I'm excited to make little treats again.

These were especially delicious and a great use for those zucchini that I still have hanging around.

These are a combination of two recipes that I have made before.

The first was a carrot cake cookie (borrowed from the fabulous Donna at My Tasty Treasures).
I substituted grated peeled and seeded zucchini for the carrot.
The second was the filling from a homemade oreo.


Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

TheKitchenWitch said...

What an awesome way to use zucchini! They look great!

Sara said...

Great idea of swapping zucchini for carrots! Yummy!

Denise said...

Great substitute for the carrots. I bet these are real good

Donna-FFW said...

What a great idea!! I love combining the zucchini with the oreo filling. Must have been delicious, and thank you for the kind shout out. I have to try these!

Kerstin said...

Oh yum, these look fantastic! I love fall too, it's my favorite season.

Finsmom said...

Ive never made a whoopie pie before, but want to. These sound great!

Katy ~ said...

What a hoot! I love whoopie pies and these look fun and a healthier choice. Tasty and good!!

Katherine Aucoin said...

what an awesome idea and your Whoppie pies look so sinful. i sure could go for one right now.

I'm with you about the summer/school thing!

Sweet and Savory said...

Who would have thought of Zucchini to make whoopie pies? I would not have.

Blogging expands our horizons and I see you have some wonderful recipes to do just that.

Talita said...

Great choices! The cookie looks so yummy!

Mountain Momma said...

Thought I would stop by and say hi to a fellow blogger. My cousin and fellow newbie to cooking, Jennifer Markey, refered me to your blog.

Juliana said...

Love the idea of using zucchini instead of carrots...nice change! They look fantastic! Yummie!

Danielle said...

Really cool idea! yum!

Peanut Butter Swirl said...

wow these sound delicious! I never would have guessed they have zucchini in them either!

Reeni♥ said...

I am looking forward to fall too! And soup! I miss eating soup. These whoopie pies look so yummy - great idea to use zucchini.

contactos en barcelona said...

Here, I do not actually consider it is likely to have effect.