Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Spicy Steak Caesar Salad



Do you have a meal that always takes you back to a certain date in time? I don't know if I do. I remember great meals, sure, but I don't know if I can recall everything that happened on the day that I ate something.

My husband, on the other hand, is brilliant at recalling exactly what happened on important dates in his life. No detail is forgotten, especially the food that was eaten. Wait, I should say the food that was served. To him, this dish hearkens the day that the Kansas Jayhawks won the NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship. Oh, you remember the day that Mario Chalmers hit that last minute shot to put us into overtime. My hubs, who was too nervous to eat anything at the time, still remembers the meal. Should it bother me that he doesn't remember what was served at our wedding?

This is probably the most often made dish in our house. If you like spicy, this is definitely for you.

Spicy Caesar Salad Dressing
adapted from Bobby Flay

1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo, cut up
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
10 drops hot pepper sauce
juice of 1 lime
1 1/2 teaspoon capers
6 anchovy fillets or 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
8 cloves garlic, chopped up a bit
1 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

about 3 heads of romaine lettuce, torn up
parmesan cheese
croutons

Put all the ingredients, except the oil and vinegar, into a food processor and process until blended. While the processor is going, add the oil slowly then the vinegar.

Meanwhile, cook a 1 1/2 pound steak to desired degree of doneness. I like to use a sirloin.

Place the romaine in a bowl, top with the cooked steak and douse with dressing. Use as much as you wish (we usually use it all). Depending on the size of your romaine heads, you may want to use a little less.

Add parmesan to your hearts content, top with croutons, serve, and enjoy!


8 comments:

Delta said...

Oh my! That looks so good. Think the salad dressing would be just as good without the anchovies paste?

~Delta Whiskey

Katherine Aucoin said...

So glad you're back and I'm loving this salad. Wish I was having this for lunch today.

5 Star Foodie said...

Delightful salad! Love the chipotles here!

Katy ~ said...

What a hoot your beloved is! I don't even remember what I ate on my wedding day. White cake, but nothing else comes to mind LOL

Now this steak is worth remembering. Oh yeah, looks mighty fine indeed!

teresa said...

oooh, i love the extra kick from the chipotle. i bet this is such a delicious salad!

Kaitlin said...

This looks so good!

Juliana said...

Yummie salad...with steak, I cannot pass on this one!

Karine said...

Original twist of the traditional ceasar salad! Thanks for sharing :)