Thursday, July 30, 2009

Zucchini Carbonara

I wanted to thank everyone for their comments regarding Buddy. I can't tell you what it means to have your support.

Is it me or is this picture weird?

Saturday morning is my day to get up with the girls. Luckily, I have a couple of budding foodies on my hands; The Food Network is always our channel of choice.

This particular morning, I actually watched Jaime at Home all the way through. I have a hard time with this show. The camera work is MUCH better than it was when he had his other show (can't remember the name now), but I can't put my finger on why I can't watch it normally. He is rather spastic in the kitchen (not a bad name for a blog). It doesn't seem that organized, and while that is really how most of us cook, when I watch a TV show, I want to be able to write down the recipe as it's prepared. That's just how I roll.

Jaime also says, "right" about every other word. That's not unlike Tyler Florence, who says "guys"...can't stand that. But, that is another topic for another entry.

Despite these annoying habits, though, he does make good food.

I was instantly attracted to the first recipe. Beautiful Zucchini Carbonara...

First of all, it uses Zucchini...of which I still have.



Second, it uses bacon...


Just look at it, ah... delicious.

If you aren't a fan, I understand. But I weep for you.

Just checking to see if you are paying attention!

Zucchini Carbonara
adapted from Jamie Oliver

1 large green zucchini, cut in half, then in half again (so yeah quartered), then sliced in 1/4-1/2 inch slices
1/2 pound penne pasta
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
6 slices of bacon (so worth it), cut into pieces
1 teaspoon fresh thyme (we have lemon thyme)

Bring a large pan of salted water to boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 7-9 minutes or until al dente.
In a large frying pan with higher sides, add the bacon and cook to desired degree of doneness. Add the zucchini and ground pepper (to taste). Sprinkle in the thyme. Cook, stirring often to coat the zucchini in the bacon-y goodness, until the zucchini is golden and softened slightly.

Meanwhile, add the eggs, parmesan, and cream to a medium bowl and set aside.

When the pasta is cooked, reserve about a cup full of pasta water. Drain the pasta and add it to the zucchini and bacon.

Remove the pan from the heat and add the egg mixture, stirring quickly to avoid scrambling the eggs. Add more cooking water if the mixture seems stiff. Add more parmesan too...it's good like that.

Serve immediately with a salad and garlic bread. Enjoy!




Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Sounds sooooo good! What a delicious way to use zucchini; bacon makes everything good, grins.

Erika said...

I never thought to use zucchini in carbonara! Great recipe! Also, very sorry about Buddy.

Justin said...

now i'm thinking how much better my leftover bacon-y pasta from last night would have been with some zucchini tossed in

Denise said...

What a different take on carbonara, and it still has bacon, which is only right..Very sorry about Buddy.
I have lost 2 best friends in the past few years and I miss them dreadfully. They were my everything. I think of them often .

Karen said...

Wow, you have really done some fabulous stuff with the zucchini! All the recipes look great. Do you like it more now?

So sorry to hear about your dog.

Chow and Chatter said...

yummy, great recipe

Katherine Aucoin said...

This has my mouth watering. What an wonderful take on cabonara!

Claudia said...

I love the take on the carbonara. Especially now with zucchini everywhere. I am sorry about Buddy - it never gets easier.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Sounds delicious! For some reason I am very intimidated by carbonara - but you make it sound very approachable! And, I can always use a new recipe for zucchini!

5 Star Foodie said...

A great twist on carbonara with addition of zucchini! Sounds excellent!

Reeni♥ said...

This sounds so delicious!! What a great twist on carbonara. That's so funny about Jamie - I love him! I could watch him all day long. I have a mad crush and his food is so yummy.

teresa said...

anything with bacon is a winner in my book! this looks especially good!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

yum yum yum = wonder if my kids (the ones without the allergies) would eat this.

Donna-FFW said...

What a unique way to use zucchini, it sounds wonderful.

Debbie said...

Great zucchini recipe. I always get a bunch from my son and now I have a good recipe for them. So sorry about your dog. I have 3 and they are very precious to me....