Monday, July 20, 2009

Zucchini and Goat Cheese Pizza

I'm getting back on the horse.

Figuratively, of course.

Hey, that rhymed.

My dear sister recently purchased her first home (way to go Lisa!). Among a mortgage, and a lawn to mow, she also inherited a very well endowed zucchini plant. Or, maybe I should say fertile? Well, whatever you want to call it, she's got zukes coming out of her eyeballs. I myself have never been a huge fan of the veggie, but that may just be because I haven't cooked with it often.

That will all change this week. Are you sitting down?

As an attempt to get back in the blogging mood, I thought I would try out some new recipes using this versatile veggie. I also thought I would strike while the iron is hot and post every day with a recipe using zucchinis.

I am not well versed in the zucchini. However, my fellow foodies This recipe came as I was reading through one of my most favorite blogs: Smitten Kitchen. If you haven't ventured over there yet...go now. You'll thank me later.

I used my most favorite pizza dough recipe and about 1/2 of a large (like the size of my forearm) zucchini. I sliced it thin, but you can use a mandoline or food processor, whatever floats your boat. I forgot to use lemon, but that would be a great addition. I also put the basil on top and added some mozzarella. You can find the original recipe HERE.

Zucchini and Goat Cheese Pizza
adapted from smitten kitchen

pizza dough (I used my favorite recipe halved)
4 ounces goat cheese, at room temperature
Few leaves of fresh basil, cut into thin slivers
1/2 medium green zucchini, sliced thin
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 500 degrees. Roll your pizza dough into a thin 12-inch circle and lay it on a tray or stone that has been dusted lightly with cornmeal.

Spread the goat cheese over your pizza dough. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Arrange your zucchini coins in concentric circles over the goat cheese spread, overlapping them slightly. Add the amount of mozzarella that you wish and top with the basil.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes (your baking time will vary, so please watch carefully), or until the edges of your pizza are golden brown and the zucchini looks roasted and a little curled up at the edges.

Serve with a small salad and enjoy!

6 comments:

Mari at Once Upon a Plate said...

This looks delightful!

We're zucchini fans (although at this time of year they can overwhelm the kitchen!) I'm always on the lookout for new ways to serve them, I would LOVE to make this.

Thank you for sharing!

Reeni♥ said...

I'm not crazy about zucchini - but this I like, smothered in gooey cheese, you can't go wrong. I look forward to more zucchini posts!

Chow and Chatter said...

what a lovely combo

Amber said...

Yummm...I love exotic pizzas! This sounds so good.

Katy ~ said...

I really like zucchini. It was an acquired taste for me, but now I really enjoy it. This sounds delicious.

Kim (@ Paper Apron) said...

Congratulations for getting back on the horse. This is a great pizza combination. I make pizza once a week so I need to try this one while all the zukes are in season. Thanks for sharing.