Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sausage and Zucchini Bake

Does anyone else out there always want to spell Zucchini with two "n's" instead of two "c's"? No? Just me?? Ah well.

I am typing this as I watch "Top Chef Masters" on Bravo. Oh my gawsh, I love this show. On the finale I can't decide who I want to win...Oh, I just love it....I think I want Michael Chiarello.

Okay, way off topic,

I wanted originally to create some zucchini boats filled with turkey sausage, but then I realized that the sous chefs would never eat zucchini that way. So, I thought I would prepare a pseudo lasagna thing.

When I finished...it didn't look so good.
But, when it came out of the oven...oh hello lover.

Remove Formatting from selection
Just look at that melty cheese. Who could deny that?

It tasted good too...

Sausage and Zucchini Bake

20 oz (approx) pasta sauce...whatever you like
1 large zucchini, unpeeled, cut into 1/4 inch circles
1 pound ground turkey sausage
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 large eggs
mozzarella cheese (optional)

butter, olive oil, salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

In a large skillet over medium high heat, add a tablespoon of olive oil and butter. Add the zucchini and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Remove to a bowl, lined with paper towels and set aside.

In the same skillet, with the remaining fats, add the sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking up the sausage as it cooks.

Meanwhile, mix the ricotta, cream, eggs and parmesan.

In an 11" by 7" casserole dish, put a small amount (about 1/4 cup) of pasta sauce. Top with with 1/2 of the cooked zucchini. Add another layer of pasta sauce (about 1/2 -3/4 cup), top with 1/2 of the sausage, then 1/2 of the ricotta mixture. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Top with 1/4 cup of pasta sauce, and as much mozzarella cheese as you wish.

Place in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the heat down to 375 and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes.

Serve with a salad, some garlic bread, and enjoy!







11 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Hello Lover indeed. This so deserves that kind of welcome. Looks terrific.

Brandy L said...

that looks so good. It's making me hungry. :D I think i may have to try it, especially since my daughter is a huge cheese lover!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Oh my - looks fantastic! I have quite a bit of zucchini and yellow squash from my CSA and garden that need to be used, and I think this is a wonderful idea!

Reeni♥ said...

This looks heavenly delicious! I saw The Top Chef with Michael - I was so happy he won! He is my favorite so far!

Finsmom said...

What a great family meal!

1freshstart said...

Yum! I might have to give this a try- it looks like something I could reheat easily. I LOVE stuffed squash. Oh.My.Goodness!
~Delta Whiskey

Mari at Once Upon a Plate said...

Yum! This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe. :)

Gaby said...

YUMMMMMM this looks delicious!

teresa said...

I would take this over regular lasagna anyday, fantastic!

Me! said...

mmmm that looks good. only trouble is its' too hot right now!

contactos en madrid said...

This cannot really work, I feel so.