Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pineapple Zucchini Cupcakes



Forgive the sprinkles, they were for my daughter's preschool.

Have you visited Tasty Kitchen yet? It is genius I tell you, genius. Only the Pioneer Woman would have created such a fabulous site. Go there now...I'll wait.

Awesome, right? I have an account (calminthekitchen...add me and I'll be your BFF), but I haven't had time to add any recipes yet. Right now I am just having fun looking around.

This recipe caught my eye for a couple of reasons, one...it used zuchinni and two...it was cake. I wanted to make something for sous chef #1's camp class and I wanted to use up zucchini...a total win-win.

I also wanted to make some treats for the hubs to take to work. So, I did 1 1/2 times the recipe. It yielded 24 mini cupcakes and 24 regular cupcakes. The zucchini gods were smiling on me. I omitted the sugar in the recipe, mainly because I thought that the pineapple would do the trick. I bumped it up to the extra 1/2 by adding applesauce. The cake was good, I didn't try it with the cream cheese frosting (that my friends does have sugar), but I am positive it would be equally as delicious. I also omitted the coconut, it just isn't my bag, baby.

Try it for yourself, or make the original cake version. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Pineapple Zucchini Cupcakes
adapted from lindainmo via tasty kitchen

makes enough for 24 mini and 24 regular cupcakes

2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
5 tablespoons canola oil
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups grated (unpeeled) zucchini
1 (20 Oz.) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained

1 cup applesauce


Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare your baking pans with liners and set aside.


In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
In a seperate bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Stir egg mixture, grated zucchini, and applesauce and pineapple into flour mixture.

Fill the cupcake liners about 1/2-2/3 of the way full. I baked the mini's seperately for about 20 minutes. The regulars baked for about 25. However, I could be totally wrong. I got a little distracted by the sous chefs and forgot to write down the exact baking times. I know....yell at me later, k?

Basically bake them until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Everyone's oven is different and if I am giving full disclosure, I always cook using the convection setting so really I have no idea how long it takes otherwise. There, I said it. I have no idea what I am doing.

Just checking to see if you were still reading.

Cool completely on a wire rack, frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting and enjoy!

NOTES : I did drain my zucchini a little bit, but I don't know if it made a difference. The original poster noted that the batter can be dry, but I didn't have that at all. It could be because I added more oil than 1 1/2 times the recipe. Or, maybe I didn't drain my pineapple all the way. Not sure. But, you may want to keep the pineapple juice on hand, just in case.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

These sound fantastic.. I joined that site but havent had a chance to really look around yet..I have to get to it.

Sara said...

Mmm, sounds great! I love zucchini bread and adding pineapple sounds delicious.

Reeni♥ said...

These look yummy! Love the pineapple in here and I don't mind the sprinkles at all!

Kerstin said...

The pineapple in this sounds great! I love the sprinkles :)

Katy ~ said...

Pineapple and zucchini sound like a wonderful combo! Oh, I want one of your cupcakes!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Another great use for zucchini! These cupcakes sound absolutely delicious!

teresa said...

such a moist and yummy looking cake!

apparentlyjessy said...

What a strange flavour combination, but they do look super delicious! I love how you did the frosting :)