Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"it changes every time" orzo salad


Alright, yeah...it's been a while.

I trust that everyone is having a great summer. Me? I am just plain exhausted. I realize that I am not a summer person. I can't stand being hot. I also am just a sweat machine. Couple that with hot weather and the game is over before it begins. I have also been thinking a lot lately about changing up my blog, adding more features, etc and so forth. And when I say thinking about my blog I literally mean sitting on my rear, surfing the web, and thinking...no real action has taken place. Seriously, what is wrong with me??

Dinner has been made, and some of it has been really tasty.

I've even made some really cute cupcakes and cookies.


I just have no energy to write. I love reading other blogs, dreaming about how I could be craftier, more exciting, and definitely how I could be more witty.

Ah so it never ends.

I realized tonight that I needed to and haven't yet shared my favorite orzo salad.

What I say in the title is totally true. This changes every single time, depending on what I have in the fridge. The only thing that stays the same is the dressing. And it is probably one of the few things that I don't mind using raw garlic. Once the hot orzo is tossed with it, the garlic cooks ever so slightly and I am one happy camper.

Orzo Salad
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon, juiced (about 2-3 tablespoons)
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper

1 cup orzo
1/4 cup black olives, finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled **I usually make this with feta, but I was out.

In large bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to boil. When ready, add about 2 teaspoons of kosher salt. Add the orzo, stir, and let cook for about 6 minutes or until just cooked.

Once the orzo is cooked, drain it and add it to the bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients and stir lightly to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Serve at room temperature and enjoy!

I served this with a grilled chicken with a marinade now that I can't remember. It was a lot of lemon juice, fresh basil, lemon thyme, parsley, and olive oil...I think.

11 comments:

Katy ~ said...

This looks so good to me!

teresa said...

I love orzo, but I don't cook with it near enough, this looks delicious!

Reeni♥ said...

Here you are. I've missed you. I know how you feel - I don't want to move - I feel like a slug and it has been super humid. Blech.

The cupcakes and cookie are darling! So pretty. I love orzo for it's versatility. This is a great version - very similar to one I make. I like the sun-dried tomatoes in this.

Katherine Aucoin said...

One of the many great things about orzo is how versatile it is.

I'm starting to feel like you about the heat..I guess we're never happy. I'm ready for fall!

burpandslurp said...

oh that orzo looks amazing. I hope it uplifts summer for you!
I actually adore summer, but I know what you mean about the unbearable heat...I find myself getting so sleepy all the time!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

I love orzo - haven't made it in a while. This salad sounds great!

Juliana said...

Love orzo...this dish is great for summer...looks really yummie with basil and all the yummie ingredients in it.

The Blonde Duck said...

Being in S. Texas, I'm used to hot, but this is unbearable. If it's after 9 a.m., forget it. You'll roast.

This looks great!

Me! said...

i am not a summer person either. the heat just makes me want to curl up in bed until it's over.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

This looks so yummy - drat thae blasted allergies that run in our home!

Kerstin said...

What pretty orzo! I'm all for relaxing on the couch too :)