Saturday, July 11, 2009

BB: Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Salad

I am behind on posting this, but hey what else is new this summer? I'll also apologize for my lack of photos. I really want to get to eating!

This month's first recipe was chosen by the wonderful Cat of Delta Whiskey. I was immediately excited when I found out that she was choosing the recipe...as she is one of my foodie friends. Her food is yummy and her writing is delightful. Cat lives near me, in one of my favorite cities, and one of these days we are going to get that culinary play date. Until then, please visit her blog, as I do every day!

Oh, and it was her birthday the other day, how awesome is that?

Cat chose Ina's Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Salad. Go try this recipe...hurry! If you don't have dinner figure out for tonight, do this. If you are already set and need to figure out something for that pot luck tomorrow...do this. Oh heck just make it and take it for lunch for the rest of the week, if it even lasts that long! It is so good.



The food network site comments about this recipe remarked a lot on the salt content. The only thing I can think of is that regular table salt instead of kosher salt was used. That said, I didn't really measure my salt; I kind of always eyeball that stuff. The recipe online also omits 1/2 pound of pasta. Oops!

Instead of cutting up mozzarella, I bought the little balls (help me Donna what should I say now?). I also used my cherry tomatoes cut into quarters. Both steps eliminated tons of time for me. I used regular penne because that is what I had.

I'm including the recipe with my changes below. Seriously make this. You won't be disappointed.

Pasta with Sun Dried Tomatoes
  • 1 pound penne pasta (or any other short pasta)
  • 1 pound cherry tomatoes, quartered
  • 3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
  • 1 pound fresh Bocconcini (small mozzarella balls)
  • 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped

For the dressing:

  • 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon capers, drained
  • kosher salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 1 cup packed basil leaves, julienned

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water. Boil for 7-8 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. Drain well and allow to cool. Place the pasta in a bowl and add the tomatoes, olives, mozzarella, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.

For the dressing, combine the sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, garlic, capers, salt, and pepper in a food processor until almost smooth.

Pour the dressing over the pasta, sprinkle with the Parmesan and basil, and toss well.


Click here and find out what the other Barefoot Bloggers thought!



8 comments:

Chow and Chatter said...

looks great will check out your friends blog, you guys need to meet!!

Katy ~ said...

Oh, this DOES sound very good indeed. I love the sundried tomato and the fresh tomato combo, with the basil! Oh oh oh!!!

Denise said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. This salad is really good. Ina is the best. I am going to follow along.

Elra said...

I love sun dried tomatoes, I like to add this to my pasta sauce as well. I never made pasta salad before, sounds really tempting.

Reeni♥ said...

This sounds so good with the tomatoes and the mozzarella balls! It's so funny cause my sister brought a whole bunch of those with her when she came to visit this weekend - and I made pasta with them! They are so perfect for this!

jenjen said...

Oh how wonderful! I love myself a yummy pasta salad. Perfect for the summer!

XOXO
Jen

Katherine Aucoin said...

You had me at sun dried tomatoes! What a fabulous pasta dish!

Allen said...

Fantastic and delicious, I used goat cheese crumbles instead of mozz, this recipe is a winner!