Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce


I have a confession: there are some days that I don't want to make dinner. In fact, the kitchen is the furthest place that I want to be. With summer approaching I could say that it is because we are so busy or because it is so hot, but that isn't the case.
Sometimes the kitchen is so clean and perfect (a condition that is on the RARE end of the scale) that I just simply don't want to mess it up.

For those days, I like to go to my arsenal of go-to meals. I am sure that you have those too. For me they are recipes that have morphed over time and now no longer involve measuring. They involve ingredients that I generally always have on hand.

On a normal spring/summer day, I would have felt a little guilty for making a meal using canned tomatoes and dried herbs. Lucky for me it was pouring buckets when I started to make dinner. The weather cooled right off and this creating the setting for the perfect pasta meal.

The secret in this pasta is the meat. It is regular old breakfast sausage. What makes it even better to work with is that you don't have to defrost it before cooking. What makes it even better is that the sausage was on sale last week for $1.00, and I had a coupon; score!

Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
recipe adapted from Sara Moulton
1 package (12 ounces) frozen link breakfast sausage, sliced about 1/2 inch thick.
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 package (13 ounces) whole wheat rotini pasta
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

In a large skillet over medium high heat, add about a tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, ad the sausage and saute, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5-6 minutes. (Don't discard any fat). Add the garlic, thyme, and oregano; cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boil. During the last 7-8 minutes of the sauce cooking, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente. When you add the pasta, add the cream to the tomato mixture and stir to combine. Let the sauce simmer until thickened and the pasta is finished cooking.

Once the pasta is finished, drain and add it to the tomato cream mixture; toss. Add the parmesan and stir.

Serve with a salad and garlic bread. Enjoy!

Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I love the sound of this sauce, how interesting to use breakfast sausage. I know what you mean about not wanting to cook sometimes, I have the same type of go to list!

5 Star Foodie said...

The sauce sounds excellent with the sausage! Very yummy pasta!

Kerstin said...

Great idea using breakfast sausage in pasta! Some nights we have frozen pizza when we don't feel like cooking (shhh....) :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

This pasta looks wonderful! I have those nights sometimes too - in fact yesterday was one of them. I made tater tots for my husband for dinner!

Ginger said...

I am with you on not wanting to cook sometimes. I found that in the summer I need to have a plan early in the day or otherwise we are heading for take out pizza or Chinese. Your pasta looks really delicious. Have a great day.

Melody said...

That looks so good and I love the creamy part! I know what you mean when you don't want to mess up your kitchen. It just doesn't stay nice long does it?!?!

Mommy Gourmet said...

Well clearly me and my daughter a agree on this. she is sitting next to me all snuggled up on the couch and I pulled up your sight and she sat up, pointed to your pasta and said, "yummm." Good taste!

Reeni♥ said...

I love breakfast sausage! It has such great flavor. How clever you are to use it with pasta. This looks so yummy!!

The Blonde Duck said...

So for a duckie who has a picky non-sausage eater for a husband, what do you recommend? Because this sauce is calling my name and not even I can condone eating an entire bucket of it alone.

Christy said...

Mmm-this looks delicious! I'm liking the addition of the sausage!

teresa said...

Oh wow, this looks SO tasty! I can only imagine all the flavor it has in it!

Gaby said...

oooo this looks delicious!

Culinary Wannabe said...

I am such a fan of dinners like this one. And I side with you about not wanting to mess up and spotless kitchen (although mine rarely is!).

1freshstart said...

Rain? What rain? It's GORGEOUS! Oh, you mean... that rain we had for 2 weeks straight? Distant memory. The pasta looks great!

Leslie said...

omg..I would have never thought to put breakfast saugage in my tomato sauce! YUM

Jennifer said...

This sounds like something my hubby would love...he adores rotini because it grabs the sauce. I'm allergic to tomatoes, so I try to make things like this for him for lunch...thanks so much for posting....it looks terrific! I like that you used whole wheat pasta!

finsmom said...

How delicious! This looks like the perfect supper!
Yum!
Thanks for sharing! Great blog!