Sunday, June 7, 2009

Oven Baked Country-Style Ribs


I know what you are going to say. Amy, it's summer! Why the heck are you cooking ribs in the oven?

My honest answer? The hubs is the grill master around here and the only way that I was going to actually cook something this weekend was if I made it indoors myself.

I don't have much else to say about these, except that they were really good. The meat was inexpensive and the sauce was just the right amount of spicy and sweet. The main bonus? It required very little hands on time. I would go a step further to say that you could definitely do this in a slow cooker and then you can just leave it alone on one of those busy days when cooking is the last thing on your mind!

Oven Baked Country-Style Ribs
2 lb boneless country-style pork ribs
1 medium onion, chopped fine (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 large garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
olive oil
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
juice of one lemon (about 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
1 teaspoon grated horseradish
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the ribs in a 11 by 7 baking dish.
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil (a couple of turns of the pan). Once hot, add the onions and saute until the onions are tender, about 5-6 minutes.

Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly so that the garlic doesn't burn, for another minute. Add the remaining ingredients. Turn the heat to medium and let the sauce bubble for an additional 10 minutes.


Pour the sauce over the ribs, evenly coating them. Cover the dish tightly with foil. Bake for one hour, then remove the foil and turn the pour over with tongs and cook, uncovered, until very tender, about 30 minutes longer.

You can skim the fat off the top, but we were hungry and didn't feel like dealing with it. I served mine with creamy mashed potatoes. Enjoy!

18 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I love how these ribs sound, the sauce sounds spectacular!

Pam said...

I am loving these ribs and the sauce...I'll be making this recipe soon.

Katy ~ said...

Oh, those look VERY good indeed (imagining licking my fingers at their sticky goodness).

finsmom said...

These look gorgeous! Great pics!

Katherine Aucoin said...

You definitely took the bull by the horns cooking this in the oven! I've done it before with ribs and chicken and they come out wonderful.

Your homemade BBQ sauce takes these ribs over the top!

The Blonde Duck said...

I cook my bbq in the oven. We've got a propane grill and it's not the greatest for slow cooking. Plus, here in Texas, it's hot 9 months out of the year. There's no such thing as heating up the kitchen b/c it's always hot!

Kerstin said...

I've never tried cooking ribs in the oven before, they sound so good, especially with that sauce!

teresa said...

Oh my goodness, this looks so tasty!

5 Star Foodie said...

awesome ribs, great way to cook in the oven!

kiss my spatula said...

oh my, i'm craving ribs for dinner now. they look sooooo delicious!

Reeni♥ said...

These are mouth-watering Amy!! The sauce sounds so good!! My Mom uses her crockpot a lot for ribs. They come out so tender.

Emily said...

Haha, I don't know how to grill, either, so I need this recipe! The ribs look delicious and remind me how much I like ribs.

Culinary Wannabe said...

I'm silly and always want the typical cold weather fare when it is hot and humid and vice versa. And I could eat ribs all year long!

The Blonde Duck said...

I've got to do it: "I want my baby back baby back baby back baby back..."

Juliana said...

Wow, these ribs look so good...tender and very tasty with all the flavors that you have in it. Great pictures as well.

javieth said...

when i bought my house throught costa rica homes for sale i wanted a great kitchen with a big space to put a big oven. Now i can baking every kind of cakes in there.

One Fierce Momma said...

I am trying tonight although it smells gross!!

eastsacgirl said...

Combined this recipe with a beer/chicken broth/orange juice braised one and turned out great. Omitted ketchup. brown sugar & worcestershire. Added one apple along with onion. Cooked in oven covered @ 350 for an hour then added 1/4c.apple cider vinegar, horseradish, mustard and cooked uncovered for about another 40 min. Took out ribs and reduced sauce for about 20 min. Also cooked some soft polenta in oven for last 40 min. which was a breeze.