Thursday, June 25, 2009

BB: Gazpacho


Whoever said that you need a vacation to recover from your vacation obviously had two small children. The morning still comes just as quick as it did when you had plans and the days slip by just as fast.

Sleeping in? Uh, yeah...that happened today...and it was still the lovely time of 7:30am.

Last summer was so much easier. I was still tired, but I had only one moving person to deal with. Sous chef #2 still needed me to carry her from point A to point B and sous chef #1 had yet to achieve maximum sassiness.

The weather here is unbearable. You would think that, being away from my kitchen for 5 days, I would have a burning desire to get back on the horse and whip up dishes. Surprisingly, though, I have no desire to cook. And yet, dinner must be made.

Did I mention that our wireless router went out?

All day long I was thinking about gazpacho. While on my two-week shopping trip, I bought the ingredients that I thought would go well in such a dish. As soon as I did, I realized that having the hubs grill a steak and making a steak salad would be a good way to go. Less mess, less fuss...

When I got home, the hubs surprised me with a new router...the internet was good to go! I started with fervor to read all the things that I had missed. Then I realized that it was Thursday: time for Barefoot Bloggers! I had been such a slacker that I didn't even think to look at what I was supposed to make.

Lucky for me....it was Ina's Gazpacho.

This week's recipe was chosen by Meryl of My Bit of Earth. Thank you Meryl!

This was such a great summer dish that came together quickly. I must have channeled Ina when I was shoppingbecause I had all the ingredients required. Wait, I take that back...the hubs had to run out and get some tomato juice. Other than that, we were good to go.

I will definitely make this one again. Since the hubs and I enjoyed dinner alone tonight (the kiddos ate dinner early and didn't make it to our feast), we have leftovers for lunch tomorrow, or if no one touches it, for a nice refreshing soup before dinner tomorrow.


Please check out the other Barefoot Bloggers to see their take on this wonderful choice! While you are there, sign up and join us!!

12 comments:

Leslie said...

Wasn't this the perfect hot summer dish? Yours looks wonderful!

Katy ~ said...

So healthy and vibrant. Gazpacho is good!

Penny said...

Good job and good timing for you. I liked this a lot.

finsmom said...

Great photo!

This dish looks so tasty and refreshing - perfect for summer!

5 Star Foodie said...

Lovely gaspacho! This summer has been unusually busy for me too!

Reeni♥ said...

I've never had gazpacho! Does salsa count? It look so much like it. This is so nice and refreshing for this time of year.

teresa said...

This looks like such a refreshing summer soup, delish!

Aggie said...

Your post could have been written by me...I just got back from 3 days at the beach, with my two little kiddos...it took me a few days to recover. How old are your kids? Mine are 2 and 4...

I loved the gazpacho and ate it for days! Yours looks great!

Lori Lynn said...

It is an underestimated soup in my opinion. It really is fabulous. Summer in a bowl. How fun for you to participate in the Barefoot Bloggers. Maybe I will come on board soon, it sounds like a blast.
LL

Delectable Dining said...

What a perfect summer meal!

Juliana said...

I never had gazpacho...sounds and looks so tasty. I am sure that I'll like it, looks very refreshing...yummie!

Maris said...

You're gong to need to sit down now: I've never had gazpacho!