Monday, May 18, 2009

Salmon Cakes


Today I popped into the grocery store with the sous chefs to pick up a couple of ingredients to make some cupcakes. While I was opening my lead sous chef's dum dum sucker (the ultimate bribe for quiet) I realized that I wasn't sure what I had planned for dinner. We were out of town for my brother's high school graduation and I had only made my bi-monthly Sam's trip and not my grocery trek.

I knew I had something written down on the menu, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was or if I needed anything for it. So, it was plan B, just to be safe. My mind immediately went to making crab cakes. I actually have no idea why, except today is Meatless Monday. Doing a quick inventory in my mind, I knew I had everything I needed except for the crab. In the past, I have used canned crab meat (a cheaper and equally tasty option) and so I headed to that shelf.

I don't know what happened between then and home but for some reason today I bought canned salmon.

So, plan B became plan C.



Salmon Cakes

olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper
1 small onion (about 3/4 cup), diced
2 celery stalks (1/2 cup), diced
1 red pepper, diced
1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1 14oz canned salmon, picked through for bones
1 1/4 cups panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup good mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Meanwhile, place 2 tablespoons of the butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil, in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. When ready, add the onion, celery, red bell peppers, parsley, capers, hot sauce, worcestershire sauce, crab boil seasoning and cook until the vegetables are soft, approximately 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.

Place the bread crumbs, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs in a large bowl. Add the vegetable mixture and the salmon mixing well.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
To shape into patties: using a 1/3 cup measure, scoop out the crab mixture and pat in your hands to make a patty. You should be able to make 8, 3-inch patties. I did end up with a little extra, which made a nice little salmon cake for my sous chef!

Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with paper towels. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.

Wipe out the saute pan and return it to medium heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. In batches, add the salmon cakes and fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until browned. Place the finished cakes on the pan and keep warm in the oven as you cook the remaining batches.

Serve hot and enjoy!

Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Katy ~ said...

LOL about Plan C! This looks a very good and delicious way to eat more fish. Well done!

Ginger said...

I love it when plan B becomes plan C and it actually turns out. The Salmon Cakes actually sound incredible. All the flavors definitely work together. YUMMY!!!

Reeni♥ said...

What a beautiful golden brown crispy crust! And their so thick and flavorful with all those goodies you put in them. I love your delicious Plan C!

deltawhiskey.us said...

I wish The Husband and I did fishies... I just can't get into it. I can definitely handle shell fish but not seafood. They look good though!

~Cat

Joie de vivre said...

I love salmon cakes. I made these camping last summer and they were so yummy! Thanks for the encouragement in getting back to my exercise routine. So far I've walked two out of two mornings! I am kind of liking the kick start to my day.

The Blonde Duck said...

Plan C looks mighty tasty to me!

And Sir Buddy may wear only his shinest collar--no halters or leashes needed. Tuxes are optional, as it chafes some of our hairless attendees.

Kerstin said...

Yum, they look fantastic! I love being inspired in the grocery store!

katie said...

Lol, that is pretty funny! I guess we are sister sites! Can't wait to look around...

burpandslurp said...

sounds lovely! you've got a quick mind, to come up with this so quickly! I love the capers in it!

Gaby said...

this looks so delicious and healthy! I am definitely going to try this soon!

Helene said...

I like your blog, lot's of great recipes.

ARUNA said...

wow this is a very nice recipe, never thought of it!!!!Awesome!

5 Star Foodie said...

Yummy salmon cakes! Very creative!

Pam said...

My husband loves salmon so he would be really happy if I made these for him. They look terrific.

Emily said...

Wow! These look super!

I love how golden brown the cakes are.

Diana said...

I love salmon cakes! Those look absolutely delicious.