Thursday, May 14, 2009

BB; play it again!


Actually, I didn't do it the first time!

I would like to give mention to Kate of Warm Olives and Cool Cocktails (a totally fabulous blog that you should visit often) who chose Ina's Tuna Salad as the recipe for Barefoot Bloggers' first post of May. I chose not to do this ,mainly because I have never had sushi, and also because the only time that I ate ahi tuna was on my honeymoon over 5 years ago. It was okay then, but not really anything I'd want to try making on my own.

Fortunately, I was able to do a backtrack recipe this month, which means I could swap out one of the two Barefoot recipes this month with any previous BB recipe. Last month, we started "Barefoot on a Budget", where we take an Ina recipe and try to do it on an "I don't live in the Hamptons" budget. The first recipe was Ina's Lobster Cobb Salad Rolls.

I decided to make this recipe using only what I had on-hand. That half pound of shrimp in my freezer would be the perfect substitute for lobster! The rolls turned out fabulous. Using the online comments, I decided not to use as much lemon juice (I didn't toss my avocado in lemon juice) and I cut down on the salt and pepper. I actually used about 3/4 of the vinaigrette. That reminds me: on Ina's original directions, she writes that 1/4 cup of lemon juice is 2 lemons. I usually get that much from one lemon. The hubs took the leftovers to work and made wraps using flour tortillas; they were awesome that way, too! Here is my take on it...

For the vinaigrette:

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 5 tablespoons good olive oil
  • salt and pepper

For the salad:

  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 4 romaine leaves, washed and spun dry
  • 1/2 pound cooked shrimp meat, diced
  • 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half or quarters
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 strips lean bacon, fried and crumbled
  • 1/4 cup crumbled English Stilton, or other crumbly blue cheese
  • 6 hot dog rolls

For the vinaigrette, whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.

To cook the bacon, place the strips on a rack inside a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake the bacon at 425 for 15-20 minutes.

To cook the shrimp, place about a teaspoon of olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook on each side for about 2 minutes, or until the shrimp is pink and just starts to curl. Be careful not to overcook. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, cut into a 1/4 inch dice. Place in a medium bowl.

Cut the avocados in half, remove the pit, and peel. Cut into a 1/2 inch dice. Add to the shrimp.

Add the tomatoes, blue cheese, bacon, and romaine. Add just enough vinaigrette to moisten. Toss to combine.

Fill the hot dog buns with desired amount of filling. Enjoy!



Click here to find out what other Barefoot Bloggers did with this week's challenge!

14 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Very well done! Looks positively delicious!!

Reeni♥ said...

These look really good, Amy!! And I have all the stuff to make them! I would love this for lunch.

Netts Nook said...

Wow that looks perfect. I have not heard of the Barefoot Bloggers. Thanks for sharing.Checking it out.

Pam said...

What a fantastic sandwich - I love all the ingredients used.

Emily said...

I love that you used shrimp! These rolls look delicious.

Elra said...

This salad sounds like a winner. Love he shrimp and avocados in there!

Jamie said...

Beautiful...I skipped this recipe..but man it looks great!

Donna-FFW said...

This looks wonderful. It would make the PERFECT lunch. The colors are lovely too!

Ginger said...

I have one thing to say about your shrimp rolls. YUMMY!! I could eat those everyday for lunch or dinner. I really like the vinaigrette. Thanks for sharing this one. My sandwiches are getting a little bit boring.

noble pig said...

It sounds delicious, I love shrimp and avocados.

5 Star Foodie said...

These rolls sound excellent with shrimp and avocados!

The Blonde Duck said...

It looks totally drool-worthy!

Juliana said...

WOW, very interesting combination of flavors, I am sure that taste fantastic! Great for a Summer picnic. By the way, thank you so much for visiting my site.

deltawhiskey.us said...

Looks great! Shrimp would have been a good substitute for the lobster.
~Cat