Thursday, May 28, 2009

BB: Outrageous Brownies

Right now I am having a hard time getting this blog entry done. Why? I am totally into watching my DVR'ed episode of "The Real Housewives of New York Reunion #2". Oh yeah, you caught me. Anything with "The Real Housewives" grabs me; I can't help myself, it is my total guilty pleasure. Have you seen TRH of New Jersey yet? Oh you are missing some good stuff.

The other reason it is taking me so long to blog is that I am having a little dessert.

This stuff is good.

Thank you to Eva of I’m Boring for choosing Ina's Outrageous Brownies. My hips, however, are staging a revolt.

I halved the recipe and in the process changed a couple of things. One out of lack of ingredients: I only had 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate. The other, I can only say out of distractedness (spell check didn't catch that, so is it really a word?): I put in the full amount of espresso powder.

I didn't read the recipe that well...it calls for coffee powder.

So, my brownies do have a definite coffee flavor. But, it is pretty darn good and best enjoyed in small portions.

Outrageous Brownies
adapted from Ina Garten
2 sticks unsalted butter. room temperature
2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plus 2 tablespoons for the chips)
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9 inch pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.

Melt together the butter, 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water. Cool slightly. Meanwhile, wisk together the eggs, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the slightly warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together 1/2 cup of the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the remaining cup of chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons of flour to coat. Stir it into the batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.

Not a Barefoot Blogger yet? Join us!

17 comments:

Selba said...

Wow.. the brownies looks like a flower :)

Suzie said...

I thought these were incredible too. My hips will be joining yours in the revolution however! Off to the gym with me....

Katy said...

Grins. I could easily and have had many similar cooking mishaps. Eh, it's life, and your brownies stilled worked out deliciously! They look gorgeous.

The Blonde Duck said...

Outrageous brownies and TV? Girl, that's my kind of night!

Donna-FFW said...

The brownies do look outrageous. outrageously delicious, addictive and sinful. My kind of food!

Penny said...

These are the best brownies ever. Just had one for breakfast.

Mommy Gourmet said...

Come on! you guys are killing me with these brownies. I want them, but they would not be safe at my house (or would they...safe in my tummy)

Jennifer said...

I love the brownie flowers! How delightful they look!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These brownies look incredible. I have never tried this recipe before... and I think I will have to try.

I also watch all of the Real Housewives... NYC is my favorite, though.

5 Star Foodie said...

The brownies look excellent, I love the flower shape!

Ginger said...

Here is what I have to say about your brownies. :-D (That is a big smile face!)

Reeni♥ said...

TRH of New Jersey? I didn't know! I definitely will be watching. And I hope eating a dessert as divine and decadent as this one!

Katherine Aucoin said...

These would not last long at all at our house. Talk about decadent!

Kaitlin said...

That dessert looks awesome. I love brownies with ice cream..yum! Girl, I'am ALL over the Real Housewives shows! I'am totally loving the New Joisey (haha) one. These ladies crack me up!

Lori Lynn said...

I think I would enjoy a stronger coffee flavor. They look great.
LL

Me! said...

Glad you liked them. I am a fan of a bit of coffee with my chocolate so that sounds good to me. That's how I drink coffee. A pack of hot chocolate, a couple oz of coffee and some cream. Yum.

1freshstart said...

Ahem, so I watch the Real Housewives. Cannot STAND Kelly, love Bethany and Jill. In the Jersey wives, can't stand that psycho who's dating the 26 year old. The rest of them are hillarious!

~Cat