Monday, May 25, 2009

Balsamic Chicken


Three and a half years ago, I had the pleasure of receiving for my birthday a cookbook and demonstration from Sara Moulton at the local culinary institute. This was a real treat as I had just popped out sous chef #1 and desperately needed some "me time." Perhaps this new mommy scenario is what put me in such an inspirational mood, but Sara's recipe for balsamic chicken is something I had to try right away, and since then, it has evolved in to something I must make at least once a month.


Balsamic ChickenAlign Center
4 boneless chicken breast halves
salt and pepper
olive oil
1 small onion, chopped medium-fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (14oz) diced tomatoes, drained of excess juice
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a little bit (1 tablespoon or so) of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken breasts and cook about 7-8 minutes per side or until the chicken is just cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and cover loosely with foil.

Reduce the heat a little bit and add the onion and cook until it is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly so that garlic does not burn. Add the tomatoes, vinegar and broth and simmer for 15 minutes or until it is reduced by 1/3. You just kind of eyeball this...I just like it to get a little thick. Add the butter and then the chicken, let simmer for another minute or two. Top with the parsley, plate up and serve!

I served mine on top of some rice pilaf and broccoli. Enjoy!
I am posting this on Memorial Day. Not a day goes by that I don't appreciate living in the United States and that would not be possible without the sacrifice of the men and women of the armed forces who gave their lives for this country.

10 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

This dish sounds fantastic. Ive always been a fan of Sara Moulton.. I use her very first cookbook often!

Chow and Chatter said...

sounds great how many sous chefs do you have i have one lol

Katy ~ said...

Sounds easy enough for a weekday dinner and delicious enough to serve to company. Love it! I'm always looking for a new and tasty chicken recipe. This looks like a winner!

Katherine Aucoin said...

I really like Sara Moulton's recipes and anythign with balsamic vinegar int it. This looks fantastic!

5 Star Foodie said...

Sounds great with balsamic vinegar!

Reeni♥ said...

What a treat to see Sara Moulton! I haven't seen her on Food Network lately, they must of changed the time she comes on, and I'm hoping they didn't remove her altogether. You have the best chicken recipes! This looks so yummy and real flavorful!!

Kerstin said...

How cool you got to see Sara Moulton! Sounds like a fantastic chicken dish!

Pam said...

How fun that you got to see Sara. This chicken looks and sounds wonderful.

Mommy Gourmet said...

Okay that is it. I really have to get off of this computer and go get some lunch.

Juliana said...

I love the balsamic flavor in the chicken, I've tried in restaurant, but did not attempt to make myself...now I have a recipe...thanks!