Monday, April 6, 2009

Strawberry-rific Cupcakes


About two weeks ago, I was heading out to my local grocery store with sous chef #1. We were in search of brocollini. Unfortunately, the one place that I thought for SURE would have it did not. What they did have, however, was 5 lbs of strawberries. These weren't just your everyday strawberries. These babies were organic and freakishly huge. On top of that....they were $4.99. Oh, that's right.

In the same way I fear of mushrooms going bad, I always worry about fruit. Usually we go through stuff pretty quickly, but this was a lot of berries! In order to use them up, I thought I would make some strawberry cupcakes.

I searched the blogosphere and found a few recipes that captured my interest. I thought I would try using one of my favorite cupcake recipes, but add some strawberries. The result was fantastic!

Strawberry Cupcakes
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup pureed strawberries (see below)
1/4 cup milk (I used skim)

For the puree, take 4 cups of strawberries and cut off the tops, then quarter them. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of white sugar on top and mix together. Let the strawberries macerate for about 15 minutes. Put the berries in a blender and puree. Pour 1/2 a cup of the puree in a pyrex dish. Set the rest aside for the frosting.


To make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 and put liners in your cupcake tins.

Put the butter in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the sugar. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, sift together (yeah, I've been sifting lately...kind of like the results better) the flour, baking powder and soda, and salt, set aside. Add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter/sugar mixture and beat until well incorporated, scraping the bowl at least twice. Add the vanilla. In the pyrex dish with the puree, add the milk.

Starting and ending with the flour mixture, alternate adding the dry and wet ingredients mixing until just combined.

Fill the liners about 1/2-3/4 the way full. I was able to make 18 cupcakes.


Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick insert comes out clean. Set aside to cool.

I topped the cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting.

For the frosting:
1 bar cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick butter, room temperature
pinch salt
4 cups powdered sugar
remainder of strawberry puree (about 1/4 cup)

Combine the cream cheese and butter and mix until well combined. Slowly add the sugar. Add the puree. Mix until well combined.

I frosted mine right away for dessert, but if you want a more sturdy frosting try adding more powdered sugar. Cream cheese frosting also sets up once refrigerated.

Enjoy!
sisterhood-award
I also have been blessed not once, but twice, with awards! I am way behind on spreading them on, but I wanted to say how honored I am. Kendra and Karen...thank you!

17 comments:

Erika said...

I love the pink cupcakes! And I bet they taste great too!

Joie de vivre said...

Wonderful! I love strawberry season!

Jen Schall @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Oooh - these look wonderful! My husband will LOVE them! We had a strawberry cake at our wedding and he is always reminding me that I should learn to make a strawberry cake! This looks like a good contender for my Easter dessert on Sunday!

Diana said...

Oh yum! The strawberry puree looks so beautiful.

Reeni♥ said...

These are over the top! Strawberry has to be one of my favorite flavors for cake. Cream cheese and strawberry frosting is so divine!

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks, as always, for visiting. Seeing these cupcakes for the 2nd time in two days is giving me a craving!

Suzie said...

The strawberry cakes look wonderful and I love strawberry desserts. Something for me to do while the kids are on holidays!

Emily said...

Strawberry cupcakes are my kind of dessert! These look yummy.

Donna-FFW said...

I am all over these cupcakes.. you should enter themin Glorias strawberry thingie.. They sound marvelous!!

Sophie said...

Those are really cute, it's tough to say no to a mini cupcake! :)

Elra said...

They looks terrific indeed. I love all kind of berries, and what a delicious way to use them on cupcakes.
Cheers,
elra

Jennifer said...

These babies look scrumptious! $4.99 for 5 lbs of organic strawberries was QUITE a great deal!

Joie de vivre said...

Thank you, as always, for your comments Amy. Just stopping by to show some blog love!

Katherine Aucoin said...

These sounds wonderful Amy! I can't believe the deal you got on the strawberries. When my oven is up and running again i will have to try these!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

What a perfectly delicious way to use up strawberries! How could you be anything but happy with a pink cupcake?

Tanner's Mom said...

Seriously, how do you come up with these recipes!? I am so not that good as to come up with my own recipes! Keep um comin'...these look fabulous!

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色