Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Peanut Butter filled Banana Sandwich Cookies


It has been well established that I am "that mom". I make treats for my daughter's preschool class every time she attends. I just can't help myself. The end of the day before she attends hits and I get this strange urge to make something. Okay, I missed last week when I brought a big stash of cool juicy juice stuff for all of the kiddos to enjoy, but I figured that was enough right? I still agonized over not bringing something. Seriously what is wrong with me?

When I saw Sass & Veracity's post for Banana Whoopie Pies, a take on this post by a new favorite of mine Culinary in the Country, I knew this was something that I had to try out. Best of all, it had bananas, and I just happened to have one sitting around that was dying a slow, torterous death.

Once I made these little goodies, I knew exactly what to fill them with. Peanut butter just sounded perfect. Plus, it's for the kiddos, gotta throw a little protein in there, tee hee!

I didn't think these really fit in the category of a whoopie pie, and around the preschool it is easier just to say it's a cookie. What do you think I made, what should I call it?

Peanut Butter filled Banana Sandwich Cookies
makes enough for 28 cookies, or 14 filled

For the outsides:
2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. kosher salt

3/4 cup very ripe banana (1 small)

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 c. butter, unsalted, room temperature

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

24 comments:

Cyndi said...

Look like whoopie pies to me! I bet they are yummy.

Pam said...

Yum. They look and sound delicious. I wish I could bake something for my kids school functions - they only allow store bought goods. It's such a bummer!

Ginger said...

WOW these Peanut Butter filled Banana Sandwich Cookies are incredible. I an definitely going to try these!!

Chow and Chatter said...

what a lovely mummy you are

deltawhiskey.us said...

You can call it whatever you want. I think they look fabulous and I want one!

~Cat

Reeni♥ said...

The cake is so thick and fluffy! The filling so scrumptious!!!! Do you think she'll break it in three and share with me?

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

These look super tasty - I love peanut butter with bananas! Yum!

Sara said...

These look great! I love peanut butter and banana.

Kerstin said...

I love PB and bananas together - they look so good! I think I may end up being "that mom" too once we have kiddos :)

Charlotte said...

One of the nursing home residents that I take care of loves anything with peanut butter. I should make this to take to her.

Joie de vivre said...

I am "that mom" too. I am completely okay with my neuroticism. :)

ARUNA said...

those cookies look so cute in your hand.......and i liked ur blog name!!!!!!

Sweta said...

Lucky kids-wish I was in your daughter's class too;)

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Something about peanut butter and banana that spells comfort food. I'm sure these were a huge hit! And your pre-schooler is learning the joy of giving! A win all around. They look delicious.

Elra said...

OMG, this sounds really delicious. Yummy!

Juliana said...

These cookies look yummie...love the combination of banana and peanut butter.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm attending pre-school next week. Will you make these for me? Por favor?

(I'm drooling in anticipation. So is the cookie stealing bunny.)

LollyChops said...

You should call them p-nanner sammers. But I come up with weird names.. so maybe you should not listen to me afterall.

These do look yummy!

Katherine Aucoin said...

I have the sudden urge to return to pre-school...you are so evil ;-)

I would love to have one of these!

FitFoodie said...

Those look amazing! I'm drooling on my keyboard...haha.

5 Star Foodie said...

mmm.. peanut butter and banana cookies sound just scrumptious!

Rebekka said...

Oh my GOSH! That is the prettiest, puffiest cookie ever. And LARGE! Love it.

kelly @ sass & veracity said...

Oh, goodness, these are making me remember just how hard it was not to eat the entire batch when I made them. Yours look fabulous and even more dangerous! Peanut butter and bananas were made to go together. I love a great, soft "cookie" and now I wish I had one waiting for my snacktime. Preschool, or no preschool :)

www.muebles-en-valdemoro.com said...

This cannot have effect as a matter of fact, that is what I suppose.