Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mushroom, Potato, and Goat Cheese Pizza




I am a bargain hunter. It isn't just out of necessity, but more because it is a thrill. To accomplish my frugal mission, I rarely deviate from my grocery list. However, a couple of weeks ago, I passed a display being stocked with packages of cremini mushrooms for $1.00 each. I couldn't pass it up. I had nothing on my menu that would really require the use of mushrooms, but I couldn't stop myself.

So, I was once again thinking that I didn't want to let mushrooms go bad in the fridge!
I started thinking about one of my favorite pizzas from a local pizza place. It has goat cheese, potatoes, and mushrooms...I had all of those things. Add in a new pizza stone that I had yet to break in.
What resulted was the realization that I really need to have a pizza night at least once every two weeks. If not more!

Mushroom, Potato, and Goat Cheese Pizza

For the pizza dough:
this makes enough for 2, 12 inch pizzas
3/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast (or one packet)
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
olive oil
2 cups all-purpose flour (plus more for kneading)

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the water, yeast, sugar, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. When the yeast dissolves, add 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon of salt and mix on medium-low speed. While the mixer is going, add about 1/2 cup more flour. Let the mixer continue to knead on medium-low for about 10 minutes until smooth. After 10 minutes, turn the dough out onto the counter lightly dusted with flour and knead it by hand, turning it 10-15 times. Place the dough in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray and cover it with a kitchen towel. Let the dough rise at room temperature for 30 minutes.

After the dough has risen, turn it out onto the counter and divide in half. If you, like me, are just using one of the dough balls, place the other one in the freezer.

Stretch each ball into a 12-inch circle and place on a pizza stone (or on a parchment lined baking sheet). Let sit while you prepare the other ingredients for your pizza!

For the mushrooms:
In a medium pan over medium-high heat add one teaspoon of olive oil and butter. Add 8 oz mushrooms, season with salt and pepper. Saute until the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
Remove the mushrooms to a bowl and wipe out the pan.

For the potatoes:
To prep the potatoes take 1 medium to large potato and poke it with a fork to find the exact size to cut. Slice the potato using the guides.


Dry off the potato pieces and season with salt and pepper. In the medium skillet that you wiped out, add about a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the potatoes and cook, about 7 minutes a side or until light brown and just cooked. Remove to a bowl.

To assemble the pizza, drizzle olive oil on your dough. Sprinkle on parmesan cheese. Add the mushrooms and potatoes. Crumble on about 1/4 cup (or more to your liking) goat cheese. Add more parmesan on top.

Bake in a 500 degree oven for about 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the pizza is golden.
Serve with a small salad and enjoy!


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Kerstin said...

Yum - I love goat cheese and mushrooms together, it looks SO good!

Pam said...

Yum. I never thought of adding potatoes to pizza - what a terrific idea. It looks delicious!

Emily said...

WHat a delicious and gourmet combination for a pizza! Looks terrific!

5 Star Foodie said...

Mmm.. potatoes and goat cheese - great combo!

You won my bagel crisp giveaway! Please send me your mailing address here or natasha@5starfoodie.com :)

Ginger said...

That pizza sounds exceptionally tasty. Goat Cheese is my favorite! Mushrooms are my favorite! Potatoes are my favorite! What more could I ask for?? Maybe, a slice, please....

Katherine Aucoin said...

I have never seen potatoes on a pizza, but it's genius! We love homade pizza and the next time we make them, I am definitely trying this!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

This sounds wonderful! I love mushrooms - delicious!

Mommy Gourmet said...

I WILL be trying this. this sounds amazing to me. Amazing.

Reeni♥ said...

What a delicious combination! I have yet to try potatoes on my pizza. I bet they are great on there-especially fried!

Juliana said...

WOW, such a great combination of flavors!