Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Manzanilla Chicken



My husband loves olives. Black, green, pitted, or stuffed...he'll eat it. I normally don't buy them if I don't have a plan to use them soon because they otherwise would not last long. It's the strangest thing, but they just seem to disappear, mysteriously.

The only reason we typically have green olives in the house is for dirty martinis. Oh, and this love of olives hasn't skipped a generation. As soon as I get the martini shaker out to make the hubs his cocktail the first words I hear are, "I want some olives too please mom".

A couple of weeks ago, I was perusing the aisles at Sam's Club while on a mission to find sun-dried tomatoes. While this endeavor proved fruitless (pun intended), I did spot some olives...a two pack...and it was cheap.

Now we have olives sitting in the fridge and an extra stash in the pantry. While these could have been reserved for evening drinks and preschooler munchies, I bought them with money from my dinner budget, so I had to use them, right?

Manzanilla Olive Chicken

4 large skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1 cup all-purpose flour
olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup Manzanilla (or any other green olive) sliced
1/2 cup artichoke hearts, halved
2 tablespoon capers, drained
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
5 dashes hot sauce

In a glass measuring dish, combine the broth, hot sauce, and tomato paste; set aside. Dry off the chicken. Dredge the chicken in flour to coat both sides; shake off the excess. Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add a tablespoon of butter. Add the chicken, turn the heat to medium-high and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes a side. Add the olives, capers, and artichokes. Add the broth mixture, scraping up any browned bits. Bring the mixture to a boil and let cook until the liquid is reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes; turning the chicken about halfway through. Add the remaining butter and cook until melted.

Serve with some egg noodles, a salad and ENJOY!

7 comments:

Reeni♥ said...

I love your trio of capers, olives and artichokes! So delicious! Manzanila olives are my favorite - and mysteriously disappear from my fridge too.

Donna-FFW said...

This certainly sounds like a dish loaded with flavor. It looks delicious and I love evrything that goes into it.

Melanie said...

My husband loves olives. I am so making this for him this weekend. I know he won't mind if I use his martini olives for his supper.

5 Star Foodie said...

We love olives too! Chicken with olives sounds fabulous! Yum!

deltawhiskey.us said...

Alright. I officially love you AND your husband. Dirty Martinis? Yes, count me in. Ahem. That chicken looks fabulous! I'll definitely have to give it a try. I buy our olives at Sam's too. They also have mongo jars of artichoke hearts for super cheap!

~Cat

Melanie said...

We made this for dinner tonight, and absolutely loved it. We will be making this one again. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe.

www.e3d.es said...

This can't have effect in actual fact, that's exactly what I believe.