Thursday, April 9, 2009

Kerry Gold Dubliner Stuffed Chicken Breast


We are currently observing Pesach in our home. While I normally wouldn't have much to post during this time, I actually have quite a few blog posts that I have started and not finished. Please enjoy this entry that I meant to post two weekends ago!

I am lucky enough to be a part of the Foodbuzz’s Tastemaker program, that means I periodically receive food samples or coupons. In early March, I received a BOGO (that's buy one get one) free product from Kerrygold. This all-natural dairy product is from the heartland of Ireland. It is rather expensive for this kitchen, but luckily I caught a deal considering that it was the cheese of the month at my local grocery store so I thought I would try it out.

To set the stage: I originally had 4 chicken breasts defrosted in the fridge. I was originally going to use them for a member of my havurah who just had a baby. I changed my mind at the last minute and made a different dish using my rotisserie chicken. It was Saturday night and we normally eat dinner later than usual after the sous chefs go to bed. Call it a date night at home.

SO, I had four chicken breasts and no real idea what I was going to make. I thought I would stuff them with cheese, but wasn't sure what I would do with the extra two. Then my brother-in-law called...He and his fiance hadn't made plans for dinner...we had two extra pieces of chicken...it was destiny. Luckily the are good sports and let me try out a recipe on them.

I made a basic stuffed, breaded chicken. The cheese was wonderful. I use the Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese. It melted beautifully, and reminded me of fontina. The coating also incorporated quite a bit of the cheese (a big thank you to the hubs for grating it all). Because of how great it melted, it made a wonderful crust. The addition of the panko crumbs (a personal favorite) made for a delicious crunch.

That being said, I don't know if I would buy the Kerrygold cheese again if it weren't on sale or with a coupon. Times are tough and having a specialty cheese hanging around doesn't really fit within my lifestyle.

This could be made, however, with parmesan and mozzarella stuffed inside. Now that I think of it...maybe a little matzo crust would work too!

Dubliner Stuffed Chicken Breast
7 oz Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
2 large eggs, beaten
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 13 by 9 baking dish with cooking spray.

Grate about 1/2 of the cheese and cut the remainder into four slices.
In a shallow dish, mix together the panko crumbs, herbs, and grated cheese. In another shallow dish, please the beaten eggs.
Cut a pocket into each chicken breast and stuff the slices of cheese into the chicken.

Now it is time to dredge...yeah, that's right I said dredge...

Place the stuffed chicken breast into the egg, turning to coat. Then press the chicken firmly into the cheese and crumb mixture. Place in the casserole dish. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until cooked through.

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds absolutely wonderful. Love chicken with a crunchy coating and a filled chicken is even better..

The Blonde Duck said...

I love this! It looks so tasty.

Elra said...

Amy, this is amazing, I have been wanting to make something similar. Yours sounds so delicious.
I love your orzo side dish too.
Cheers,
elra

Reeni♥ said...

This looks delicious, Amy! A great comfort meal. The cheese sounds good for a special occasion... like date night! How sweet!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Amy this looks wonderful. I love the crunchy chicken with the orzo...so delicious!

Jennifer said...

Your recipe sounds delicious. I have heard of Kerrygold cheese, I've just never seen it! Thank you for the substitution suggestions! I will definitely have to try this.

Joie de vivre said...

Will you share with us some of your passover traditions and food too? Being a Gentile, I'm curious. :)

burpandslurp said...

incredible. the best thing to stuff a chicken is with cheese. YUM!

and_she_makes_four said...

Wowza, this looks FANTASTIC! I just found your blog and I'm excited to go through all your recipes! I love to cook too.

Truly,

Jenifer

Lori Lynn said...

Matzo crust, good idea!
LL

5 Star Foodie said...

I'm taking notes for Passover meals - I'm all out of good ideas this year :)