Sunday, April 12, 2009

Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Flank Steak


I have made quite a few meals that I have not yet blogged about: good meals, meals I would make again. Why haven't I posted? I am just plain lazy. I also have been quite the web browser of late, and not even for foodie sites, but mostly home decorating and budgeting junk. Then, time passes, and instead of recalling what I made, I would rather just watch TV, read, or go to bed.

So why am I posting something old now? I am afraid that I am going to forget what I did, and then, when I want to make this again, I am going to have to start over. I'd much rather just search my blog!

This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite meatless Ina dishes. It is a sandwich with goat cheese, roasted red peppers, capers, balsamic vinegar, garlic...oh it's a good one. One thing about it, though, is that the garlic is raw and, to me, a little strong. I decided to cook the garlic and make a balsamic glaze. The results were great! I do wish once again, that I had pounded out the steak more, it was a little rarer than I would have liked, but it is definitely on my list to make again!


Goat Cheese and Roasted Red Pepper Stuffed Flank Steak
1 1/2 pound flank steak
1/4 cup goat cheese
3 jarred roasted red peppers. split open
1 small shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tablespoon drained capers
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Place the flank steak in between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound to about 1/4 inch thickness. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap.

In a small saute pan over medium heat, add about a teaspoon of olive oil. When the pan is hot, add the shallots and garlic and saute until the shallots are tender and the garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently as to not burn the garlic. Remove from the heat and set aside.

To assemble the stuffing, crumble the goat cheese on the flank steak. Top with the garlic/shallot mixture. Place the peppers and capers on top.

Wrap up the flank steak going with the grain as tight as you can, securing with toothpicks. Salt and Pepper the outside.

In a large oven-safe saute pan, over medium-high heat, place enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once hot, brown the rolled flank steak about two minutes per side. Place in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.

While the steak is cooking, prepare the balsamic sauce.

Balsamic Sauce
1 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar

Bring both ingredients to boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.

Once the steak is cooked, let it rest for about 5 minutes and then slice against the grain, top with the balsamic sauce and serve!



I served this with roasted potatoes and steamed broccoli. To make the potatoes, I did them in the same oven as the flank steak. By cutting them smaller, I was able to cook them in a 375 degree oven in about 30 minutes. To make: toss your desired amount of potatoes, a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbes de provence in a small bowl and place on a sheet pan coated with cooking spray. Put this in the oven about 5-10 minutes before putting in the steak.

Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

A little about me: said...

A-

OH MY GOSH, this looks beautiful. My mouth is watering. I gotta try this, I love, WUV goat cheese.

Hmmmm, looks soooo good. BRAVO!

Jenifer

Jenifer from the 'dale said...

Would it turn out differently if I added more goat cheese to this bad boy?

Jenifer

Donna-FFW said...

This looks absolutely delicious.. I love flank, and stuffed, even better. The balsamic on top is just gorgeous!!

Katherine Aucoin said...

This looks so tasty and beautiful! I love the roasted peppers and the steak and the capers just put i way over the top!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

That looks wonderful! I love the idea to stuff the steak with red peppers and goat cheese. I think that stuffing would be delicious for chicken, as well.

Joie de vivre said...

That picture of the cut piece of flank steak with all of the goodies in it looks excellent. Goat cheese, well, let's be honest, cheese in general, is one of my favorites.

Elra said...

Amy, this flank steak really look delicious. Oh, I love capers so much .... and the balsamic sauce sound superb!
Cheers,
elra

The Blonde Duck said...

This is my kind of steak! Can you imagine if you chopped it up and shoved it in a panini? Oh, I'm drooling again!

Jeanneoli said...

This is a meal that would make my husband love me even more:-)

Kerstin said...

Yum, looks fantastic! Roasted red peppers and goat cheese are two of my favorite ingredients! Very cute blog :)

Ginger said...

This is dinner party worthy!!! Love your blog...

Reeni♥ said...

This is incredible!! The filling looks really good. And your glaze just puts it over the top. I had to look on my blog for a recipe yesterday, it was so convenient!

Danielle said...

I am absolutly drooling!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm just glad you like my stories! :)

Lori Lynn said...

Hi Amy - that looks wonderful. Love Ina and that Balsamic Sauce is amazing. I serve it with dessert too. We had some strawberries that were great with it!

Oh Please and absolutely send a recipe over for the Passover Round-up. That would be great! Email me by Thursday night, OK? I would love to include you and link your blog.
Lori Lynn

5 Star Foodie said...

The goat cheese and red pepper inside the steak sound excellent! Great recipe!