Sunday, April 26, 2009

Blue Cheese Butter


It is no question that around here, flank steak is one of our favorite meats to work with. Oh sure, I would LOVE to cook a ribeye or a filet, but for the value flank steak just can't be beat.

The star of this meal, no matter what meat you use, is the blue cheese butter.

Blue Cheese Butter
1 stick butter, room temperature
4 ounces blue cheese, room temperature
salt and pepper

Blend all of the ingredients together.

After the steak has cooked and rested (and sliced if that's how you do it), put as much butter as you dare on top of the steak. Let it melt, served it up, and enjoy!

With the leftovers, place the butter mixture in a small freezer-safe bag. Squeeze out the air and push the butter to the bottom. Roll it up and freeze it if you aren't using it for a while or just put in the fridge.

If you want to make the butter ahead of time, just put it in the freezer bag and keep it in the fridge. When ready, slice the butter and put it on your meat of choice!

** I re-used this butter by putting it inside a chicken breast. I cooked it at 425 for 25 minutes. Oh yeah, it was also wrapped in bacon.*** I didn't get a picture, but YUM.

** Another great use would be inside a potato**

7 comments:

Reeni♥ said...

I love this combo, Amy. Buttery bleu cheese! What could be better than that. The chicken sounds real yummy! And the potato too! Great idea.

Kerstin said...

What a great idea - the best of both worlds, yum!

Ginger said...

I am making this today!! What else can you serve it with??

Katherine Aucoin said...

I'm no a bleu cheese fan. I wonder if goat cheese could be substituted?

Calm In The Kitchen said...

Ginger- Good question, the possibilities are endless! Using it inside the chicken was fabulous, I would totally recommend that one. I was thinking of trying it out on steamed veggies, like cauliflower or green beans, just melting a little pat on top. But, I was also considering just using it as a spread on a piece of crusty bread to serve with dinner. Better yet, make a sammy out of it using some turkey!

Katherine-Goat Cheese would totally be worth a try, I was thinking doing that with goat cheese and adding sun dried tomatoes along with it...

Jackie @PhamFatale.com said...

That's an excellent idea. I think Katherine shouldn't worry so much about the strength of the flavor of blue cheeese since it's blend with cream cheese as well.

Mommy Gourmet said...

Oh my, that is brilliant! I am really going to have to try this. Really, really!!