Thursday, April 23, 2009

BB: Croque Monsieur



My lead sous chef loves ham. I actually stopped buying it because, like cookies, it would just disappear before I had a chance to cook with it. When I saw that the second Barefoot Bloggers recipe was Croque Monsieur. I instantly thought it would be great to try.

This isn't healthy AT ALL...but sometimes we can treat ourselves. Thank you to Kathy of All Food Considered for such a great choice!

For this recipe I used whole wheat bread (what we had) and slices of Swiss that I cut up instead of true Gruyere (again what we had). It turned out okay, but I don't think I will make it again. It was really too much trouble for what is essentially a ham and cheese sandwich. It was just a little too decadent for us. That said, it was all Ina, and I would still recommend trying it once!

I served ours with an arugula and strawberry salad, with goat cheese...oh yeah.


If you are a fan of Ina, as everyone here in the CITK house is, then please join us!

17 comments:

Katherine Aucoin said...

I like that you served yours with strawberries. The goat cheese really lightened this up I bet!

5 Star Foodie said...

Oh, Yum! My sous-chef would love this too - she loves ham as well!

Donna-FFW said...

Its bout midnight now, Id love this as a snack, looks terrific!

Ginger said...

I will eat ham in the car on the way home from the meat shop!! Amazing and wonderful meal....

Mommy Gourmet said...

Okay, that sandwhich looks awesome, sorry it was a bit of a let down.

That salad sounds amazing. I love strawberrys and goatcheese, i never thought to get them together for a salad party, what a brilliant idea!

Jen @ MyKitchenAddiction.com said...

Ooh - I love ham! Looks delicious!

Pam said...

I wish I couldn't have eaten that for dinner - the whole meal looks delicious.

deltawhiskey.us said...

Well, thankfully I wasn't the ONLY one who didn't like it! I've actually never been to tellers, but I'd love to meet up with you there sometime or have you out to the house. Shoot me an email sometime and we'll try to work out some times.
~Cat

The Blonde Duck said...

When I was growing up, we were always driving to Oklahoma to see relatives. Each time, we'd stop halfway for lunch at this Smokehouse/ Restaurant for a sandwich. To this day, I go CRAZY if I find a decent smoked ham and swiss sandwich. It's just the best thing ever.

The Blonde Duck said...

And about you sneaking a spoonful of PB--Ben has a HUGE one everynight. :)

Reeni♥ said...

That is such a great comfort meal. I love it with the strawberry salad!

Suzie said...

This was so rich - and I stupidly made it for breakfast.....

Chow and Chatter said...

love your honesty i guess your sous chef is a little one, that is so sweet love it

shortbreadsouth.com said...

It looks really yummy! Yes, it was over the top.
I'm really into arugula right now. Your salad sounds fab.

Lori Lynn said...

Whoa, that does look rich!
Like the salad with goat cheese!
LL

Leslie said...

Sorry the sandwich was disappointing, but that salad sounds amazing!

Tonya @ What's On My Plate said...

decadent is an understatement! this is delish but a lot of work for sure.