Friday, March 6, 2009

Steak Fries

I love everything about the potato. It could be boiled, broiled, baked, or fried. I would eat it. Hot, cold, spicy or sweet. To me, it is the ultimate in comfort food.

Forgive me for the short recipe and lack of measurements. The last couple of days here have been fantastic weather, FANTASTIC. It's been hard to stay inside.

Soaking the potatoes is key, and is a step that shouldn't be skipped. If you do this while the oven preheats, it really shouldn't take too much time out of your meal prep.


Steak Fries
5 medium sized russet potatoes, skin scrubbed clean.
cooking spray
vegetable oil
salt and pepper
paprika

To prepare the steak fries, cut the potato in half lengthwise. Take each half and cut into thirds; making a total of 6 fries per potato. Put the fries in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside to soak for about 20 minutes.

While the potatoes are soaking, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray an 11 by 17 jelly roll pan (large baking sheet with higher sides) with cooking spray. After the potatoes are done soaking, drain the potatoes into a colander and turn out onto paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels and thoroughly dry the potatoes. Return the potatoes to a large bowl (using the one you just soaked them in works. Just dry it out first) and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and toss the potatoes.

Turn the potatoes out onto the prepared pan. Face each potato so that the skin is facing the right. Place the pan in the oven and let cook for 25 minutes. Take the potatoes out of the oven and flip them over. Return to the oven and let cook an additional 20 minutes.

Remove from the oven and serve. Enjoy!

Don't hate me because it is beautiful here. Next week it is supposed to be 35 degrees again.

7 comments:

5 Star Foodie said...

Those steak fries look super delicious! Yum!

Femin Susan said...

I wish I could grab all these yummy stuff from the monitor and have them.
Cheers!

Reeni♥ said...

I love oven fries! They look great. Enjoy your nice weather, it's still cold here, your lucky!

Donna-FFW said...

These fries are sooo calling my name. They look fabulous!

Emily said...

Oh, I love the soaking tip! That's fantastic. I'm going to have to try it. I love fries so much.

Kendra said...

YUM! Looks great!

KCMommy2Twins said...

I'm making these tonight! So easy so I think I can handle it! Seriously... teach cooking classes! I would definitely sign up!!!