Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mushroom Meatballs

Have you ever had mushrooms sitting in the refrigerator and fear that they might go bad? You know, that whole kinda mushy wet fungus thing? Pair that with some minced shallots also just sitting around and you have yourselves the base of one tasty meatball!

Mushroom Meatballs
1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
7 cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 egg

Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In the bowl of a food processor (or blender, use what you got) combine the shallots and mushrooms. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
In a medium bowl put in the rest of the ingredients. Add the mushroom mixture. Combine with a fork until combined. Using a small cookie scoop (mine is about 2 tablespoons), scoop the mixture and roll lightly into a ball. Place in the muffin tins.

Bake for 20 minutes.


If you, like me, like your meatballs with a little sauce and pasta. Do what I do!
First, set a large pot to boil. When ready, add 1 pound pasta (I used whole wheat).
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, add about 24 oz pasta sauce (your favorite kind or homemade will do). Add the cooked meatballs and let simmer until the pasta is ready.
To finish, put the pasta in a bowl, cover with the sauce. Serve with a little salad and pass the parmesan.
Enjoy!

14 comments:

Emily said...

Mmm meatballs. These sound very yummy! I made my first meatballs last night, actually.

Donna-FFW said...

You are my BIGGEST hero with this recipe, mushroom meatballs, I could just kiss you!

Katherine Aucoin said...

How did you know I had some mushrooms in my fridge that I was worrying about? This is a fantastic idea!

5 Star Foodie said...

Brilliant idea! And they sound really delicious! I will definitely be making these!

deltawhiskey.us said...

I'll leave it to you to tell me how delish this is. We don't do fish or fungus. They LOOK pretty!

~Cat

Kendra said...

YUM! I love mushrooms...never made meatballs before...looking at this makes me want to NOW!

Reeni♥ said...

You put them to good use! They look delicious! I love your method of cooking them, your so clever.

Christy said...

Mmm, mushroom meatballs! They look wonderful.

Karen said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who buys mushrooms and never uses them. This is such a great recipe.

You've won an award over at my place, come check it out!

burpandslurp said...

what a fabulous, genius idea to bake these in a muffin pan! wow! I love mushrooms, so these meatballs will be heaven in my mouth!

Joie de vivre said...

Baking your meatballs in muffin tins is such a good idea!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look like fantastic meatballs!

momgateway said...

My son will love these meatballs!

Mommy Gourmet said...

Man, now i am hungry.