Monday, March 9, 2009

Marinated Flank Steak with Chive Butter


Last week I was drooling over Donna @ My Tasty Treasure's recipe for Smoked Paprika Flank Steak with Basil Butter. She is totally the inspiration for this dish. If you haven't been to her blog yet, you should. I can't decide what I like better, her hilarious writing or her recipes!

I didn't have any smoked paprika and didn't want to travel out to get it, so I made a little different marinade. My lovely hubs helped me out and made the marinade while I rattled off ingredients based on what we had on hand. I made a chive butter to accompany it, and also used it for the baked potato. It was seriously heaven on a plate.

For the marinade (for a 1 1/2 to 2 pound flank steak)
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup red wine
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar

Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Put the flank steak in a resealable bag and add the marinade. Try to get out as much air as possible, reseal, and place the bag in the fridge for at least 2 hours. The longer the better!

When you are ready to grill the steak, remove it from the marinade and pat it dry. If you wish, take the marinade and place in a small saucepan. Place on the stove over medium heat and let bubble while you grill the steak. I actually did this, but then totally forgot that I had it!

To grill the steaks, I'll leave that to you. The hubs mans the grill and I have no idea what he did. I will say, though, that the flank steak is best served medium to medium rare.

For the Chive Butter
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
salt and pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Lay a large piece of plastic wrap down and place the combined mixture on top. Take the end in front of you and bring it over the top, scrunching down around the butter. Fold in the sides and roll up. Place in the fridge and chill for at least one hour. This can be made several days in advance.




To make the potatoes:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Take the potatoes and brush the outsides with olive oil. You won't need much, just enough to lightly coat. Sprinkle kosher salt around the outsides. Again, you don't need much, probably 1/2 a teaspoon or so. Place the potatoes on a jelly roll pan and place in the oven for 1 1/4 hours.




Once the steak is ready, remove from the heat let it sit for approximately 5-10 minutes. Thinly slice the steak and then slather with about 1/2 of the chive butter. Let that butter goodness melt in, seriously it is the best part of the dish.


Once the potatoes are ready, slice them in half and put about a tablespoon or more (don't worry, no one is looking) of the chive butter inside.
Serve with a side of steamed broccoli. Enjoy!

7 comments:

5 Star Foodie said...

Delicious with the chive butter! Yum!

Katherine Aucoin said...

That's a satisfying meal any night of the week!

Mama Chicken said...

this looks wonderful! mmmmm. chive butter!

Reeni♥ said...

That looks amazing!! Butter and steak, what could be more heavenly? YUMMMM!!

Donna-FFW said...

I am so glad you tried the recipe and even happier that you liked it.. I have to try your marinde next time my FFH makes it. Looks so good. Thanks again for letting me know you tried it:)

Josh said...

That looks amazing...passing this on to Jenny right now :)

Diana said...

Oh my goodness I have made almost this exact meal! I love doing the chive butter that way. Thanks for visiting my blog. You have some great posts!