Friday, March 13, 2009

A delicious compromise

Each night, the hubs calls on his way home from work to first see if I need anything for dinner and then to find out what actually is for dinner. The conversation went something like this,
Him: "so what's for dinner?"
Me: "well, it's like macaroni and cheese, but I am using the whole wheat pasta and adding cauliflower"
Him: "ooh, will it have a bacon topping, like Tyler's?"
Me: "um, I hadn't thought about that, but I can do that"

Cheesy Whole Wheat Pasta with Cauliflower and Bacon Topping
dang that's a mouthful!
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 box whole wheat rotini pasta
1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, chopped and divided
salt and pepper
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups reduced fat sour cream
1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 strips bacon, cut into pieces

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the panko and 1/3 cup of parsley and set aside.
Cook the pasta according to package directions, adding the cauliflower for the last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain the pasta and set aside.

Return the pot to the stove and over medium heat add about 1 tablespoon of oil. Once hot, add the about 3/4 of the onion, salt& pepper, and cook until the onion is soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add back the pasta and cauliflower, cheese, sour cream, milk, and mustard. Stir well to combine.

Transfer the pasta to a 2.5-3 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with the panko-parsley mixture and bake until bubbly, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet combine the bacon and onion. Cook until the onion is soft and the bacon is cooked, about 10 minutes. Once the casserole is ready, top with the bacon mixture. Sprinkle with remaining parsley.

Enjoy!




6 comments:

Reeni♥ said...

This is well-balanced between healthy and indulgent. I love it! I bet the cauliflower was wonderful in it, and the topping is like the icing on the cake!

5 Star Foodie said...

Oh, yummy with cauliflower and cheese and bacon - that's my kind of pasta!

Sara said...

Yummmy! Looks great!

Donna-FFW said...

Cauliflower, cheese, bacon. so very delicious. It looks fantastic. I am saving this one as I am always looking for ways to make cauliflower:)

deltawhiskey.us said...

Ha! That sounds like my honey. Well... except for the fact that he never calls to see if I need something. Or... to find out what's for dinner. I guess I should rephrase. My husband loves anything with bacon too and will find any excuse to use it.

~Delta Whiskey

Danielle said...

This is comfort food Times 10!!! I ahve recently been trying to use only whole wheat pastas and trying to get vegetables in where ever possible and this recipe fits the bill. This is naughty and nice.