Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chipotle Coated Chicken



I know that I have mentioned it before, but there is something about smoky chipotle peppers that I like. They don't give off too much heat, but are still warm and satisfying. I wanted to use up a couple of chipotles in adobo that I had left over, and I also wanted to make something that I could put in the oven and forget about (another favorite thing). Checking out the pantry, I had just about a cup of panko crumbs left. What's a girl to do?

Why, coat the chicken, roll in crumbs and bake of course!

One thing that I am not a fan of is dredging. The whole flour, egg, breadcrumb thing is totally lost on me. I have found that by using panko bread crumbs I still get the same crunch that I would otherwise.

Chipotle Coated Chicken

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 canned chipotles in adobo
salt and pepper
1 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat an oven to 375 degrees. Grab a small baking dish and spray with cooking spray, set aside.

In a small food processor or blender, combine the yogurt and chiles. Puree until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you like a little more heat, put in a few dashes of hot sauce.

Place the chicken breasts on a plate and dry off with a paper towel. Brush the chicken with the chipotle mixture on one side, place in the panko crumbs; pressing to coat. Repeat with the other side.

Set the chicken breasts in the baking dish, slide in the oven, and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until the coating is crisy and the chicken is cooked through.
Serve with some rice, a salad, and enjoy!

By the way, have you registered your vote for my entry in Iron Cupcake yet? By clicking here and voting, I am entered into a drawing for some amazing prizes. Click on over...on the right hand side...you can pick three favorites. I would love it if one of those favorites were mine!
I know, it's shameless.

I mentioned earlier that they make great little latte shots, but forgot to show you the pic! Mini cupcakes are the perfect treat!

8 comments:

Reeni♥ said...

Chipotles are my favorite spicy pepper. What a great idea, these look delicious. Lightly crispy and crunchy... yum!

Katherine Aucoin said...

This is such a creative way to not let precious chipoltes go to waste! The chicken looks so crispy. I'm bookmarking this!

5 Star Foodie said...

Great idea to use chipotle and panko breadcrumbs. What a terrific recipe!

deltawhiskey.us said...

I love that! We cannot get enough of chipolte in our house... oh so good! I make these really great chicken rolls with chipolte... I'll have to get on it and write about it.

~Delta Whiskey (Cat)

Kendra said...

Panko crumbs are wonderful...I use them where I can...Looks great!

Emily said...

I love chicken. I love chipotle. So I know I would like this.

I think you could put chipotle in anything and it would taste good.

Sara said...

I love chipotles too, this chicken looks like a great way to use them! I bought some dried chipotle powder a few months ago, I haven't gotten much use out of it yet.

Danielle said...

Great recipe!
Good Luck with The Iron Cupcake Award. I voted for ya!