Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cajun Steak Alfredo

I love when fellow foodie posts inspire me. Reeni's latest creation did just that!
I had some leftover homemade cajun seasoning left over, this was the perfect time to use it. Couple that with a steak I wanted to do something with, and leftover steamed brocolli and we had a great meal!

Cajun Steak Alfredo
2/3 pound sirloin steak
1/2 pound pasta (I used spaghetti)
1/4 cup cajun seasoning, plus more to taste
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese plus more for serving
1 cup diced tomatoes, I used canned
1 cup steamed broccoli

Season the steak with 1 tablespoon of cajun seasoning per side. Grill the steak to desired doneness and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions or until al dente (mine is about 8 minutes).

While the pasta cooks, put the olive oil and butter in a large pan over medium heat, add the garlic cloves and saute for about 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir to combine. Slowly at the cream and milk and stir until thickened, about 5-6 minutes. Turn the heat to low or off and add the parmesan and 2 tablespoons of cajun seasoning. Taste for seasoning and add more if desired. At this point the pasta should be finished. With a pasta fork, add the pasta to the sauce, retaining the pasta water. Add the brocolli and tomatoes. If the pasta seems too thick for your taste, add some of the pasta water (I added about 1/4 cup).
Slice the steak and add to the pasta. Serve with additional parmesan and a salad. Enjoy!

12 comments:

Kendra said...

How could you get any better than alfredo and steak! This look just scrumptious!

Reeni♥ said...

I love your version! It looks so good! Funny, I actually had steamed some cauliflower to mix in to mine and totally forgot until I was sitting down and already eating. We are on similar wavelengths. Great tip about the pasta water. I always forget to set some aside.

Donna-FFW said...

I saw this on Reenis site and yes, it called to me also. Yours looks terrific! Glad to know it was just as wonderful as I knew it would be. Ive gotta try it now!

5 Star Foodie said...

Yum! Your version looks terrific! Alfredo and steak are wonderful!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Wow this looks tasty! Reeni's recipes are never disappointing!

deltawhiskey.us said...

Ohhhh! I LOVE cajun pasta dishes! There was a place in North Carolina that I would BEG to go to so I could have that pasta. I'm going to be making something similar to this... SOON!

~Delta Whiskey

Danielle said...

Well, between the Bacon Mac N' Cheese and This recipe I have gained 10 pounds just reading your blog today! This looks like another comforting creation. Now the question is which one will I indulge in for dinner tonight?

The Blonde Duck said...

After seeing you both do this, I can't reist any longer! I must try it!

Joie de vivre said...

Reeni is so great for inspiration isn't she? She is so creative! I love your take on it.

Mama Chicken said...

This looks really good. Something directed me to pick some cajun seasoning at the market the other day. Now I know what to do with it!

Suzie said...

My husband would love that - thanks for the inspiration.

Elra said...

OMG, your pasta make me drooling. It looks so creamy and delicious.
Cheers,
elra