Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Steak Fajita Salad


I had fajitas on the menu for this week, but when the day came I wasn't in the mood. It was also a perfect 70 degrees here in Kansas (don't worry, it is snowing/raining, and about 40 degrees today) and a salad sounded great.


This came together fast and can be made with a lot of variation.


Steak Fajita Salad

1 1/2 pounds flank steak
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes
shredded mexican blend cheese
two large heads of romaine lettuce
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2-3 tablespoons lime juice
salt and pepper

I used flank steak again and made 1 1/2 times the amount of seasoning rub. Season the meat with the rub, setting aside the extra 1/2 amount. Cook the meat in a grill pan or outside...whatever you fancy!

In a small sauce pan, add the beans and tomatoes along with the remaining rub. Let warm over medium to low heat. I added a little bit of lime juice as well. Set aside to cool for a few minutes before assembling.

In a large bowl, tear the lettuce into bite size pieces. Add the cheese and cooked steak. Top with the bean/tomato mixture.

In a small bowl, add the sour cream, mayo, and lime juice stirring to combine. I put mine in a small ziploc bag and cut a small triangle in one end (basically made my own pastry bag) and drizzled it on top.

Grab some tongs, serve it up and enjoy!

Notes: Next time I would probably add some chipotle pepper to the bean mixture, also I would saute or grill cook a pepper and onion. Slices of avocado would be perfect as well (mine weren't ripe enough). For a little added crunch, some tortilla strips would rock. Again, anything goes!


6 comments:

5 Star Foodie said...

A lot of times we will only eat one steak for dinner and the next day I always look for ways to serve the other steak for lunch - this is a great recipe in such situation!

Reeni♥ said...

What a great idea! It seems like a hearty meal but light at the same time. Delicious! Warm weather always makes me want to eat more salads. It was pretty warm here too.

Katherine Aucoin said...

How clever you turned this into one savory and hearty salad. Your salad has me drooling.

Kendra said...

What an idea! Looks so yummy!

Donna-FFW said...

This looks spectacular, I love the flavor combinations!!

Tanner's Mom said...

YUM! This looks awesome & is going into the rotation next week!