Saturday, February 21, 2009

Lemon Cake with Berry Filling and Lemon Glaze

I am a huge fan of lemons. They can be used in sweet and savory dishes and always add brightness to a dish. Alas, the weather in Kansas isn't that conducive to lemon trees. Nevertheless, as spring comes slowly upon us, my mind wanders to lighter sun-filled days. Using lemons in dessert always makes for happy times.

I used my favorite 6 by 2 inch cake pan, but this recipe would definitely work for 2 8 inch cake pans. If you go that route, plan on doubling the filling.

Lemon Cake with Berry Filling and Lemon Glaze

For the cake:
1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (sift prior to measuring)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
juice from one lemon (about 3-4 tablespoons)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs

Prepare the cake pan(s). Spray the pans with a little bit of butter flavored cooking spray. Line the bottom(s) with a piece of parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, combine the sifted flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a glass measuring dish, combine the milk and lemon. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. With the mixer set to low, alternate adding between dry and wet ingredients starting and ending with the dry.

Divide the mixture into the prepared pan(s) and bake until a knife inserted comes out clean. For me, using my 6 inch pan filled 3/4 the way full, it was about 35 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the filling.

For the filling:
1 cup frozen mixed berries
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Puree the berries in a bender until smooth.
In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and let bubble for about 2 minutes.
Set aside to cool.

Once the cake is finished, let cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Invert and let cool on a wire rack. To assemble, I cut my cake in half, topped one half with the filling, covered with the other half. I then topped that with the glaze.
To make the glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
juice of one lemon
Whisk the ingredients together in a small bowl. Top the cake, cut, serve, and enjoy!

10 comments:

Suzie said...

That cake looks amazing....wish I had some here.

Candy Girl said...

I love lemons too! This looks mouth-watering yummy.

5 Star Foodie said...

This cake look amazing! I love the lemon flavor desserts too and the berry filling sounds wonderful!

Reeni♥ said...

I love lemons in baked goods. The tart from the lemon and the sweetness is such a great combo! This is a beautiful cake, so refreshing for this time of year. The berry filling looks delicious, too!

Katherine Aucoin said...

I love lemons too! They remind me of spring. Your cake looks so decadent. I like the berry filling it make the cake more indulgent!

1freshstart said...

Yum! I love lemon cake.

Did I know you were in Kansas? Where are you at? I'm in Lawrence. We're going to have a nice warm front move through this week. I can't wait!

~Cat

Tanner's Mom said...

Oh my, I too love lemon! I will be trying this one for sure! YUM...

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.. I made that for my Mom's birthday today and she absolutely loved it! She especially enjoyed the glaze! Thanks! :)

www.zaragoza-3d.com said...

I believe everybody should browse on it.

Anonymous said...

I just made this for my Mom's. Birthday too :) it was so good!! She said it's her new favorite cake thank you for posting it! :)