Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

My apologies, I wish I had taken better pictures!
I have been rather obsessed with red velvet cupcakes lately. I made them Monday for a bake sale Tuesday at sous chef #1's preschool. On Tuesday I made mini's for the second day of the bake sale on Wednesday. On Thursday, I had some leftovers that I delivered to the people that work at my gym. If you eat a cupcake at a gym it is like 2 calories, right? Well, better they eat them than me! On Thursday I made more cupcakes for my husband to take to work Friday. I ran out of powdered sugar for frosting, so I still have about 20 mini cupcakes sitting unfrosted in the fridge. Okay, maybe more like 15. Those little babies make for a great little treats!

I adapted the recipe just a bit from one that I got from Paula Deen years ago. Hers used buttermilk and I never have that stuff lying around. This time I filled my cupcake liners a little over half the way full and I am able to make 24 regular and 24 mini cupcakes.



Red Velvet Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
1 cup skim milk, room temperature
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon red food coloring
Preheat the oven to 350. Line your cupcake tins with liners and set aside.

In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, put in the dry ingredients (flour through cocoa powder) and stir to combine. In a glass measuring dish, put the tablespoon of vinegar. Add just enough milk to reach the 1 cup level. Add the oil, eggs, and extract, stirring to break up the eggs and combine. With the mixer on low, add the wet ingredients to the dry. Mix until just combined. Scrape the bowl down and add the food coloring, stir on low to combine.

Fill the cupcake liners and bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Once cooked, let sit in the pans for another 5 minutes then removed to racks to cool completely.

Now for the frosting....yum.

For me, red velvet cupcakes require cream cheese frosting. And to me cream cheese frosting doesn't need to be piled high like buttercream. The star of the show, after all, is the the red velvet. With that said, I still put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of frosting on each one. If you like more, feel free to double this!

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 8oz package cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound (scant 4 cups) powdered sugar

Blend the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the salt and extract. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Top cooled cupcakes.

I topped mine with some sanding sugar in a heart shape. Enjoy!




8 comments:

Meg said...

These look awesome and I love the sprinkle hearts!

Reeni♥ said...

Their so cute! And scrumptious looking! You should be the cupcake queen for making all of those cupcakes!! Yes, that would be great if we were neighbors, we could eat together and then go to they gym together and work it all off!!

5 Star Foodie said...

Those are so cute with the pink hearts! Yummy!

Sara said...

Very cute cupcakes - happy valentine's day!

The Blonde Duck said...

I love the sprinkle hearts!

Caitlin said...

These are really cute! I love the little pink hearts :)

Maggie said...

The pink sugar hearts are so sweet! I bet they looked great once you could see the red cake as well.

Donna-FFW said...

These are so absolutely adorable. Bet they tasted great. Red velvet is a fav of mine! So pretty.