Friday, February 27, 2009

Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Garlic Soup

The weather here has been doing crazy things lately. One day it is 70 degrees with a bright sun. My oldest spends an hour outside just blowing bubbles. I am dreaming of light dishes, using lemons and thinking about springtime decorating. The next day it is 30 degrees, gloomy, and the bubble solution that she left outside is frozen. All I can think about on days like this is warm comforting soup.
I had purchased some button mushrooms for another recipe that I ended up not doing. Worried that the mushrooms would get gross if they sat for another day in the fridge I decided to try making a creamy mushroom soup.
I am not a huge fan of raw mushrooms. They need to be cooked, really cooked, for me to enjoy them. Otherwise, they have a weird texture that I sometimes have a hard time with. To me, nothing brings out the flavors of something as roasting. It also is one of the best "hands off" way to prepare a meal. Once I put the mushrooms in the oven, I realized that I was missing a great opportunity to add another level of flavor by roasting some garlic (another thing that I am not a huge fan of in raw form).
The results were fantastic, a creamy, well-balanced dish that was simple and satisfying. We ate this with some sourdough bread, but next time I think I'll spring for either the individual sourdough bread bowls...or maybe I'll even attempt my own sourdough starter (thank you Joie de Vivre!).

Creamy Roasted Mushroom and Garlic Soup
1 pound button mushrooms, cut in half and then in thirds
5-6 large garlic cloves
olive oil, salt, and pepper
4 cups chicken stock (or more depending on thickness)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white wine (I used a chardonnay)
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet (I used my jelly roll pan) with foil. Put the mushrooms on the prepared sheet and drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper; tossing to coat. Cover with foil.

Prepare your "packet" to roast garlic. Take a piece (about 1 foot) and place the garlic in the center. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Create a "tent" with the foil, folding to crimp. Seal the sides.
Place on top of the foil topped mushrooms.

Put the pan in the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Remove the foil from the mushrooms, keeping the pouch of garlic intact, and roast for an additional 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.

Meanwhile, drizzle about a teaspoon of olive oil in the bottom of a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onion, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and scrape any bits at the bottom of the pan. Continue cooking until the wine basically evaporates, 5-10 minutes more.Sprinke the flour and stir to combine. Continue stirring as the flour cooks, about 2 minutes. Add 4 cups stock, cream, and thyme. Let simmer while you prepare the mushrooms and garlic.

Put 1/2 of the cooled mushrooms and all of the garlic into a food processor or blender. Add a couple of tablespoons of chicken stock and puree until smooth.

Add the puree and remaining mushrooms to the pot. Stir to combine. Check for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the parsley, serve, and enjoy!


I'm submitting this to one of my favorite blogs Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sundays. I hope everyone enjoys it!

11 comments:

5 Star Foodie said...

How neat - I was just thinking about a mushroom soup to do for tomorrow. Love the garlic here!

Reeni♥ said...

I am loving this! I bet it had great flavor from roasting the veggies. It looks so creamy and very comforting! The weather has been doing the same crazy stuff here and now we might get snow, I was hoping we were all done with that messy stuff.

Kendra said...

Such a simple blend of flavors that just do a huge number on the palette. AWESOME!

Emily said...

You know I would love this soup, right? I lOVE roasted garlic!

Kendra said...

New award for you hun! Head on over to my blog and pick it up :)

Christy said...

Love the roasting of the veggies for this soup! It's been so wickedly cold here that a warm, delicious soup sounds soothing for my soul!

Debinhawaii said...

I love mushrooms and garlic and the roasting just makes them all the better. A beautiful soup! Thanks for coming to Souper Sunday, the round up is posted.

Aloha,

Deb

Sophie said...

I agree that mushrooms taste so much better cooked! You've deliciously incorporated them into this dish.

Lys said...

Love this idea! Will have to try it - and I'll be adding some mushrooms to my delivery order right now...

Danielle said...

I love homemade cream of mushroom soup and love the idea of roasting the mushrooms and garlic first. Great idea!

Kirsty said...

I have just made this, on a very chilly day. It is delicious! I didn't have any white wine handy (it doesn't stick around for long) and I had some bacon I chucked in at the last minute - I am very happy with this recipe!! Thank you!