Monday, February 2, 2009

Crab and Corn Bisque


I'll be the first to admit it...I've never made a bisque before. In fact, I don't think I have ever eaten it before either. Heck, this may not even be a true bisque! All I know is that I used ingredients that I had on hand and it was good.

And since I am already sharing everything with you I'll also go ahead and make some more disclaimers:


  • I used frozen corn. It's February
  • I used a can of crab meat. I'm in the midwest and I'm on a budget. If you are lucky enough to live somewhere with access to fresh crab meat you have a right to holler at me all you want, and then send me some crab meat.

Corn and Crab Bisque

1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 medium celery, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup white wine
Homemade Creole Seasoning, see below
3 tablespoons blond roux
1 cup skim milk
2 cups heavy cream
6 oz lump crab meat
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce


Put a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add about a teaspoon of olive oil. Once hot, add the onions, celery, and corn. Add a pinch of salt and about 10 grinds of black pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Season with about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of Creole Seasoning (to taste). Add the white wine and let cook down. Add the milk and cream, bring to a boil. Meanwhile make the roux.

For the roux: in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons flour. Stir constantly until the mixture is a medium blond color (about 4-5 minutes).

Once the roux is to the color desired, add that to the large saucepan. Stir to combine and continue to stir as the soup thickens, about a minute or two.

Turn the heat to low and add the crab meat and Worcestershire. Let simmer for 5 minutes.

Check the seasonings and serve with a crusty bread (sourdough works great). Enjoy!

Creole Seasoning (adapted from Emeril's Essence)

1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme






8 comments:

5 Star Foodie said...

Crab and corn are a great combination and the soup looks wonderful, rich, and delicious! A classic bisque would only require one more step - pureeing your main soup ingredients before stirring in the cream.

Kendra said...

As much as we adore crab I've never had it in a soup. Looks wonderful!

Reeni♥ said...

Never made bisque either! But yours looks positively delicious!! So creamy and comforting.

Katherine Aucoin said...

Your bisque looks like it came out wonderful! I'm from New Orleans and living where I don't alsways have access to fresh seafood. You can make wonderful meals using what you have and using your imagination! Great Job!

Kendra said...

You've been awarded for making me drool. Please visit my blog to pick up your award.

Sara said...

I've never made a bisque before either, but I think I need to try!

The Food Hunter said...

I've never made a bisque but yours sure looks good.

Donna-FFW said...

I have never made bisque, but this sounds lovely. I also enjoy Emeril's seasoning. Bet it was fantastic!