Thursday, February 26, 2009

Carrot Cake Cookies


I was interested immediately when I saw Donna's at My Tasty Treasures recipe for Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies. Anything involving carrot cake is aces in my book....the cream cheese frosting alone has me drooling. I tried the recipe, adapting a little bit from what I had on hand, but mine turned out a little more puffy. Making them into sandwiches just didn't seem like a good idea. That and I was making them for my #1 sous chef's preschool snack. While the filling is tasty, making my daughter's wonderful teachers clean up frosting just didn't seem fair. So, I drizzled mine on top. It worked out well, we put the first initial of everyone in the class on top...a lesson and a yummy treat all in one!


Carrot Cake Cookies
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup white sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
scant 2 cups grated carrots

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the oats and carrots. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the sugars and butter. Beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one and a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until well combined.

With the mixer on low, add the flour slowly, mixing until just blended. Mix in the carrot mixture. Place in the refrigerator and chill for at least one hour.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. Once the mixture is fully chilled spoon 1 tablespoon (I used my small cookie scoop) onto the prepared sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on a drying rack. Prepare the cream cheese frosting.

In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the cream cheese and butter until light. With the mixer on low, slowly add the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla and mix until blended.

Once cooled, frost with the cream cheese frosting and enjoy!

10 comments:

5 Star Foodie said...

Oh, yum! Love the icing swirls!

Sara said...

These look delicious! My dad would love them...carrot cake is his favorite. :)

Donna said...

Thank you Amy!! They look awesome. What a terrific adaptation. They look perfect!!

Donna said...

Thank you Amy!! They look awesome. What a terrific adaptation. They look perfect!!

Kendra said...

AWW they look so good...I wanna go to your sou chefs preschool! LOL

Lucia said...

I would like to make those cookies... Thanks for the recipe!!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Completely yum! you did a fantastic job. I would like two please to go with my coffee.

deltawhiskey.us said...

Oh those look so good! I love the idea of a culinary play-date.

~Cat

Reeni♥ said...

Those look sooooooo delicious!! I bet the kids loved them. Nice touch putting their initials on them.

Mommy Gourmet said...

Brilliant. These look wonderful!