Monday, February 16, 2009

Carmelized Onion Pasta with Goat Cheese


I am a fan of all things goat cheese, so when received my daily email from Everyday Food entitled, "Pasta with Onion, Bacon, and Goat Cheese" it was immediately put in the "to try" file. It looked easy and fast and it included bacon, which means nothing but good stuff.
Tonight was just that kind of night.
Once I started making the recipe that I printed out, it kind of took on a life of it's own.
I will preface that I used bacon on Meatless Monday. If you don't do bacon, I totally understand but I would say this isn't the recipe for you. However, if you do bacon....it is yummy yumminess that can't be denied.
Carmelized Onion Pasta with Goat Cheese and Bacon
1 pound campanelle pasta
6 slices bacon, sliced into 1 inch pieces
3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon white sugar
4 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tablespoon dried thyme
kosher salt and cracked pepper
4 ounces soft goat cheese
Put a large pot of water to boil. Once the water is boiling, salt the water and add the pasta. Cook for about 9 minutes or until al-dente.
While the pasta is cooking, in a large bowl, crumble the 4 ounces of goat cheese. Take about 1 1/4 cup of the boiling pasta water and combine with the goat cheese, stirring to combine. Add the drained pasta to the goat cheese mixture and stir.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon turning until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
Turn the heat up to medium-high. Add the onions to the fat in the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Add the sugar. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Uncover, add the garlic and thyme and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the onions are golden.
Add the onion mixture the pasta and combine. Top with the bacon. Enjoy!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Monique said...

This recipe is similar to one I make using Al Dente (the brand) Egg Fettuccine. People love that Al Dente cooks in just 3 minutes and tastes exactly like fresh,homemade pasta. If you can't find it in your local store, check out www.aldentepasta.com

5 Star Foodie said...

Pasta sounds great with goat cheese and caramelized onions - yummy!

Katherine Aucoin said...

This is talking to me! Carmelized onions! I'm a sucker for them. I'm moving this recipe to the top of my "to do" list!

The Blonde Duck said...

This looks fabulous!

Candy Girl said...

Yum! I love, love caramelized onions and goat cheese. Can't wait to try this. Thanks!

Reeni♥ said...

I love how you described bacon as a yummy yumminess! I'm with Katherine on the caramelized onions, one of my favorite things. With the bacon and the goat cheese make such awesome flavors! Yummy Yumminess!!!!!

Joie de vivre said...

Oh how I do bacon.

Donna-FFW said...

Caramelized onions, bacon, holy lord, I bet this was special! It looks wonderful!

Selba said...

Yummy... it looks so awesome!

onlinepastrychef said...

I followed you here from your comment on the Tex-Mex steak extravaganza over at 5 Star Foodie, mostly because I enjoyed the juxtaposition of your "Holy COW" comment with your "Calm in the Kitchen" name. I just knew something good awaited. I was right--this looks quite good!

I often put little chunks of goat cheese in my scrambled eggs when they are almost done--I love the creamy creaminess of it. And caramelized onions, bacon and goat cheese on a pizza is a Very Good Thing, so I can imagine that I would love them in pasta, too!

I'm happy I stopped by; I will be back:)

muebles en madrid said...

I consider everyone ought to browse on it.