Sunday, February 8, 2009

Best Laid Plans...

Argh, I wanted to share the bread pudding that I made for lead sous chef's Friday night pot luck...and then I forgot to take a picture. It was a small victory for me because I had never made bread pudding or eaten it before and from what I can tell it was a hit. I even caught a few people who weren't involved with our dinner sneaking a bowl-ful. I'll definitely make it again, and post the recipe.

To be fair, I thought I would pass along my challah recipe. I utilize the bread machine for this one every Friday, and I TOTALLY LOVE doing so. If you don't have a bread machine, think about asking for it for your next foodie gift. If anything, just to make challah. It makes the best french toast too!


Bread Machine Challah
1 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp yeast (or one packet)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
scant 1 tablespoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature
4 cups flour, plus more for kneading/braiding
In the order listed, put all ingredients in the bread machine. Put the setting on "dough" and start. Once finished, let rise in the machine for another hour. Remove and place in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with a towel and let rise for an hour. Punch the dough down and put on your counter dusted with flour. Knead the bread for a minute or two, incorporating more flour if the dough is sticky.
At this point you can divide the dough in half and make two medium loafs or one large one.
With each divided section, seperate the dough into four sections. Braid the sections. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise for another hour.
When ready to bake, brush the loaf(s) with an egg wash and put in a 325 degree oven for 35-45 minutes or until golden.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

5 Star Foodie said...

That bread pudding must have been really good :) Can't wait to see the pic and the recipe when you make it next time!

Kendra said...

Like you I have never had bread pudding...post it soon so I can try it! :)

Katherine Aucoin said...

Oh I know how you feel when you make something so wonderful and forget to take a picture. I can't wait for next time!