Thursday, February 12, 2009

BB: Real Spaghetti and Meatballs

It's Barefoot Blogger time again! This week's recipe comes from Rebecca of Ezra Poundcake who chose Real Spaghetti and Meatballs.

Definitely one of the hubs favorite meals, spaghetti and meatballs is certainly our idea of comfort food. I have been blessed with a fabulous Barefoot Contessa loving mother-in-law who has made this in the past and now it was my turn to give it a try.
Plus, there is wine involved. How bad can that be?

I myself would have just used the lean ground beef we had in the house instead of the adding pork and veal, but when it comes to me and the Barefoot Bloggers the hubs thinks that I should stay true to the recipe. I am glad that we did! The meatballs turned out tender and delicious. They definitely tasted better the second day. It makes a ton, and they are huge. I came up with about 20 total, a far cry from the 14-16 that Ina makes.

I tried to stay true and pan fry the meatballs. But, like dredging....I don't really do frying. I think is a patience thing for me, I mean 10 minutes a batch?? Not to mention the mess, the unneeded fat, yada yada yada. These particular meatballs were so moist, I just didn't see how they could hold up. I started with the first batch on the stove and quickly decided that my usual way works just fine.


The sauce really is nothing spectacular but the wine is what makes it. If you don't cook with wine I would definitely add some herbs or maybe red pepper flakes to give it some punch. Otherwise, it is just tomatoes, garlic, and onion.


Thanks to Rebecca of Ezra Poundcake for choosing a fantastic meal. As always, be sure to check out the Barefoot Blogger's website to see how this one turned out for the rest of the bloggers. While you are there, think about joining us!

8 comments:

5 Star Foodie said...

Delicious meatballs! I always mean to put the meatballs in the stove to save the time but end up faithfully pan frying them every time :)

Joie de vivre said...

Thanks for visiting and following my blog! How have I not heard of the Barefoot Bloggers? It sounds like so much fun!

Nazarina A said...

This dish would take the edge of this snowy cold weather here! Yum!

Katherine Aucoin said...

This is one of my favorites. I've been craving this for supper. You did a fantastic job at making me drool!!!

Tanner's Mom said...

Those look good!

Here's the meatball recipe I got from my Mom that is TO DIE for & baked only in hte oven, no frying pan time I'd never liked meatballs until I had these in Dec 2005 & now I can't stop making them! Have friends that I've served these too as well & they said they were never meat ball fans.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Stir together:
1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (dry from the spice aisle work just fine)
3 eggs, beaten
2 Tbl dried oregano
1 Tbl minced garlic
1 Tbl kosher salt (I couldn't find, regular salt worked just fine)
1 Tbl ground black pepper
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Mix in 2 lb. hamburger with a fork (this prevents over mixing and compacting which can toughen the meatballs)

Spray a cookie sheet (must have sides) with cooking spray and scoop out your meatballs. Place them on the cookie sheet so that they are not touching or crowded together. (I cut the recipe in half & get 24 with 1 pound of meat & they are big meatballs.) Cover the bottom of the pan with beef broth. You want to make about 2 inch balls. I have a "scooper" from Pampered Chef that worked wonderful! Bake about 25 minutes.

You can cook these meatballs ahead & freeze them by placing them on a baking sheet in the freezer. When hard, remove and store in a freezer bag. Makes 30-33 (1 1/2 oz. meatballs so the recipe that my Mom gave me says. I don't know b/c I've never done a full batch, just half.

Reeni♥ said...

You know, for some reason google isn't showing me your new posts until 24 hours later. That makes me so mad!! I bake my meatballs too, but what a great idea to put them in the muffin pans! These look delicious, as always!!

shortbreadsouth said...

These were a hit at our house! I think the wine makes all the difference in the sauce, too. I only cooked half the meatballs and froze the rest for another time.

Leslie said...

I made the sauce without the wine and added some balsamic vinegar for flavor. This did make an insane number of humongo meatballs. Great idea to bake not fry--I'll have to try that next time!