Sunday, January 25, 2009

Stuffed Flank Steak


I made it three weeks! Wahoo!
AND, unlike every other Sunday so far I ACTUALLY have something to write about!
Well, it isn't that exciting, but it is a great use of a flank steak.

I served this with a side of orzo and a small salad. If I make this again, I would cut the amount of spinach probably in half and I would try to roll the steak tighter. But, the combination of flavors was great and definitely something to try again! I am already thinking up more additions (mushrooms, artichokes, roasted peppers..you get the idea)!

Stuffed Flank Steak
1 1/2 pounds flank steak
1 box frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 small onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small non-stick skillet add a little bit of olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onions, adding a little salt and pepper, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and place in a medium bowl. Add the spinach. Meanwhile, place the flank steak in between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten to about 1/4 inch thickness. Place the spinach mixture on the steak and add the goat cheese. Going WITH the grain, roll the flank steak and secure with toothpicks.
In a large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil and sear the steak on all sides, about 2 minutes a side. Place the skillet in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Let rest out of the oven for 10 minutes before cutting.


Cut to desired thickness and enjoy!

5 comments:

Katherine Aucoin said...

Yum! I bet that flank steak tasted so good with the combo of the spinach anf goat cheese!

5 Star Foodie said...

Oh, I love any kind of cheese inside a steak, especially goat cheese - delicious!

1freshstart said...

That looks so incredibly delicious! I love stuffed flank steak... it's like a grown-ups rolly sandwich.

~Cat

Reeni♥ said...

I love all those flavors together! I bet it just melted in your mouth!!

Tia said...

Mmmm I loved stuffed foods, and this sounds really good!