Monday, January 26, 2009

Roasted Eggplant with Three Cheeses



I hav no idea what to call this dish. Tonight was Meatless (or Fish) Monday and my veggie of choice was eggplant. My hubby loves eggplant parmesan, but the whole breading thing really isn't my scene. Maybe it is too many steps or perhaps I don't like getting my fingers all gummy with egg and flour. I think it is probably that I don't like all the extra dishes!

I decided to try roast the eggplant instead. I also thought I would try layering the pieces, similar to lasagna. After all, everything tastes better with a layer of cheese, right?

Roasted Eggplant with Three Cheeses
1 medium to large eggplant
olive oil, salt, and pepper
1/2 teaspoon herbs de provence
1/4 cup fontina cheese
1/4 cup tablespoon Romano cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese

tomato sauce of choice



Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
Take the eggplant and slice about 1/4 inch lengthwise off each end . Cut the remaining eggplant lengthwise into four strips. Place the eggplant on the foil and brush both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put 1/4 tsp of the herbs de provence on one side of each eggplant. Put the eggplant in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Flip the sections and roast for an additional 10 minutes.



Take an 11 by 7 casserole dish and put a little bit of tomato sauce on the bottom.
Place two pieces of eggplant lengthwise on top of the tomato sauce.
Place a small layer of sauce, about a tablespoon, on each piece of eggplant.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon each of the fontina, romano, and mozzarella cheese on each eggplant section.
Cover with the remaining eggplant and repeat.

Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Turn on the broiler and broil the top layer of cheese until golden, about 1 minute longer.

Serve with pasta, remaining sauce, salad, and garlic bread. Enjoy!




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Elra said...

Sounds delicious. Sometimes we need to take a break from meat for a while.
Cheers,
Elra

Katherine Aucoin said...

Looks delish! I like the idea of having meatless meals.

Blissful Nikki said...

wow, this sounds great!!! I wanted to thank you for joining the Cook it, Blog it network brought to you by The Gourmet Momma!

I can't wait to see all of your wonderful recipes!
--Nikki
The Gourmet Momma

1freshstart said...

I keep seeing everyone making eggplant dishes lately but I can't find any good eggplants. I will DEFINITELY have to make this when we get them in season... it looks so good!

~Cat