Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"Oreo" Cookies

I have a confession to make. I am "that mom". I make goodies for my daughter's preschool class from scratch almost every week. I sew her costumes. I volunteer and am a "room mom". I can't help it. It just happened and now I can't stop. Along with that, I am also "that wife". I make dinner at home every night and I send my husband to work with a bunch of cupcakes, at least once a week. That's just how I roll.
While looking over the newest Food Network Magazine, I came across a recipe that I just had to try! I didn't quite make as many as the recipe called for, I didn't roll the dough thin enough. Because of that, I just halved the recipe for the filling. I am including the entire recipe here, just in case you are better and more patient at rolling dough than I am.
No matter what, they were freaking fabulous! This recipe comes from Emily Isaac from Trois Pommes Patisserie in Brooklyn. Thank you Emily!
For the Dough
1 1/3 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sift together the cocoa powder, flour and salt into a large bowl. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla. Next add the dry ingredients (SLOWLY!), mixing until just incorporated. Scrape the bowl down at least once with a spatula.
Divide the dough into 2 pieces; place each piece between 2 lightly floured sheets of parchment paper and roll into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Refrigerate both rectangles, until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Using a 2 inch round cutter, cut the dough into 64 circles. (You can re-roll the scraps once). Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet (I used my silpats) and bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely.
While the cookies are baking, assemble the filling.
For the Filling:
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Using a mixer, cream the butter and shortening until fluffy. Add the sugar and vanilla.
To assemble, flip half of the cookies upside down and top each with 1 level tablespoon of filling. Press the remaining cookies on top to make sandwiches.
Enjoy!

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Sara said...

Yum! Who doesn't like Oreos!? My dad is an Oreo fanatic...I'll have to make these for him. I'm really glad I came across your blog...you've got some great recipes! :)

Reeni♥ said...

They looks so much better than store bought Oreos!! YUM!! I love how 'you roll'!!!

Katherine Aucoin said...

The oreos look fantastic! I know your family is glad that you are "That Mom"!

The Food Hunter said...

very cool!

1freshstart said...

Uh... is there something wrong with being "that" woman? When The Husband is active duty I'm the same way... but he doesn't really want to walk into a college classroom full of Aerospace Engineering students and pass out goodies from da'wife. I LOVE IT! I might have to make these overachiever oreo's too!

~Cat
I also think I need to throw you up on my links so I can remember to stop in here more often.

Caitlin said...

Very cute cookies! I would love to make then and experiment with different fillings..espresso cream, peanut butter, nutella, berry....YUM