Saturday, January 10, 2009

My favorite Carrot Cake

Carrot is probably my favorite kind of cake. Anything with a cream cheese frosting is aces in my book. I have many different recipes for carrot cake, depending on the vessel in which it will be cooked. I love them all, but this variation is probably my favorite. It includes baby food, which keeps it very moist. It is adapted from one of my favorite cookbooks, Bride and Groom First and Forever. I'll get into why it is my favorite another time, for now...on to the cake!

I say that it was adapted because their recipe includes coconut, which I don't really care for and I my cream cheese frosting is a bit different. The main adaptation on this venture was that I used my new pan which I got from the confectionery house via a gift certificate that I won from one of my all-time favorite blogs (and host of Iron Cupcake), No One Puts Cupcake In A Corner. The pan was 6 by 2 so I halved my regular recipe. It still turned out moist and fantastic, and I am so happy that I did it in a little pan. I really do feel less guilty! I did, however, use the same amount of cream cheese frosting that I always use, because that's just how I roll.

This is my regular recipe. It will fill 2 9-inch cake pans.

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting:

For the Cake:
3 cups all purpose flour
2 3/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup grated carrot (about two large carrots)
2 4ounce jars carrot puree (baby food)

Preheat the oven to 350, spray two 9 inch pans with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mixing to combine.
In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, and vanilla.
Add this to the dry ingredients, mixing on low speed until just combined.
Add the carrots and carrot puree, again mixing until just combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake until a cake tester (I use a knife) inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Transfer the pans to a wire rack and let cool completely. Once cooled, invert the cakes, peel away the parchment paper and frost as desired.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 ounces (1 bar) cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar

In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the extract, honey and salt and continue to beat, scraping down the bowl sides at least once, until smooth. Add the powdered sugar (slowly or you'll have a cloud of sugar in your face and on your counter) and beat until well blended.

Enjoy!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

♥Reeni said...

Your a genius for adding in the baby food! It looks so scrumptious!! You can never have too much frosting. I am having a serious craving for this now!