Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lasagna Pasta Toss


Recipes, if used often, morph over time. At first you change an ingredient because you don't have what the recipe calls. Or, you just add a little bit of this and a little bit of that to make it different. One day you can't remember where the actual recipe is and you just make it from memory. Suddenly the recipe becomes your own and you can't write on your blog about it without sounding vague by writing, "a handful" or "a little bit".

Most recipes that are in our regular rotation fit into that category.

This came originally from Rachael Ray, but definitely takes less than 30 minutes. Quick and tasty it is a perfect weeknight meal. It also feeds a crowd and is suitable for entertaining.

I use a jarred sauce (Bertolli is our family favorite). If doing that "cheat" doesn't work for you, I encourage you to make your own. Whatever floats your boat! The best meals are ones that can be shared and changed to suit your individual needs.

Lasagna Pasta Toss
1 lb campanelle pasta
1 lb ground beef
red pepper flakes, to taste
16 oz pasta sauce
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1/4 cup parsley, chopped

Set a large pot of water to boil.
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Add the pasta sauce and red pepper flakes.
Meanwhile, add salt to the boiling water and cook the pasta.
Put the ricotta in the bottom of large serving bowl, add about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water and stir to combine. Add the remaining cheeses and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
Once the pasta is finished cooking, drain and add to the cheese sauce, stirring to combine.


Top with the meat sauce. Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese.

Serve with garlic bread and a salad. Enjoy!



7 comments:

Sara said...

This looks so easy and sounds great! My hubby and I love lasagna but I've never made it, if fear that it'd take too long and be complicated.

Kendra said...

This on my menu this week...looks wonderful. Can't wait to try it. My family loves my lasagna but its take a lot of time. This is sure to cut it in half.

5 Star Foodie said...

I like this quick lasagna version! Sometimes I plan to make lasagna but get too busy and then there's not enough time, and this recipe would be perfect in such situation! Great idea!

Katherine Aucoin said...

I've made this once and it is very good. Your pictures have me drooling. I'll have to put this in the rotation.

Reeni♥ said...

All the taste of lasagna but not so time-consuming. I love it!! Your cranking out some delicious recipes!

thumbbook said...

Yum, a quick lasagna recipe! I would like to invite you to visit Foodista.com - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit - and link your blog to foodista-related pages using our small embeddable widgets. Check it out here.. This is a great way for you to build blog traffic and connect with other food lovers! Also feel free to share your recipes and tips with us!Thanks!

Donna-FFW said...

This looks fabulous!! I just found your blog. Lots of good stuff here. Your steak fajitas look wonderful also.