Saturday, January 17, 2009

Did someone say chocolate cake?



As I mentioned before, I love my new 6 inch pan. It makes the PERFECT amount of cake.
When I saw this cake in the December Bon Appetit magazine, I knew I had to try it. The cake recipe itself wasn't interesting to me, and I knew the perfect recipe to use.
My tried and true chocolate cake recipe came from again none other than Ina Garten. Seriously the woman rocks! You can find the recipe here. I did everything the same, except I halved the recipe. For the coffee, I added a Guradelli peppermint coffee that I had.
While the cake was cooking, I made both a white chocolate and a dark chocolate ganache.
Basic Chocolate Ganache
4-5 ounces chocolate of choice
1/3 cup heavy cream
extract of choice
Heat the cream to a simmer. Once hot, pour on top of the chocolate and let sit for about 30 seconds. Stir to combine the melted chocolate. Add the extract of choice and continue stirring until melted and thick. Let sit.
For the dark chocolate ganache, I used dark chocolate chips and added a little vanilla. For the white chocolate ganache, I used white chocolate chips and added a splash of peppermint extract.
While the cake was cooling, I made a cream using the white chocolate.
White Chocolate Peppermint Cream
1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
2 tablespoons white sugar
white chocolate ganache
Mix the heavy cream and sugar int a mixing bowl fitted with a whisk attachment. Once you have soft to medium peaks, add the white chocolate and continue to whip until medium peaks are reached.
Once the cake was cooled, I cut the cake in half and spread a layer of about 1/2 dark chocolate ganache on top. Next I spread a layer of the white chocolate peppermint cream. I put the other layer on top and put in the fridge to set up.
While the cake was in the fridge, I made a really simple chocolate frosting. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, I put the leftover chocolate ganache, 1 stick of butter at room temperature, a splash of vanilla extract, mixing until well incorporated. Once mixed, I added about a cup of powdered sugar.
Spread on the cake, cut and enjoy!!




4 comments:

Kendra said...

Yum, that looks wonderful!

Reeni♥ said...

That looks so delicious with two types of ganache! Your amazing!

mikky said...

wow... the cake looks amazing!!! i love the idea that there's peppermint in it... :)

Katherine Aucoin said...

Your chocolate cake looks gorgeous! I'm drooling on my keyboard!