Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Chicken with Three Cheeses

While it wasn't my intention, I made a meal plan for this week with all of our most popular items in the rotation!

This could also be called Chicken Parmesan, but I thought Chicken with Three Cheeses sounded like something new!
I like using panko bread crumbs. For me the crunchiness of the panko saves the whole flour-egg-breadcrumb dredging process, which is totally not my scene. I also don't flatten the chicken, but instead let it finish cooking in the oven.

Chicken with Three Cheeses
4 chicken breast halves
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded pecorino romano cheese
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzerella cheese
1 jar marinara sauce

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 11 by 7 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Place the panko crumbs and 1/4 cup each of the romano and parmesan cheeses in a shallow dish.
Dry the chicken off with a paper towel. Spray with cooking spray (I use a butter flavored one).
Put the chicken in one at a time in the bowl and press to coat.
In a large shallow skillet over medium-high heat put in enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add about 1 tablespoon of butter.
Once the butter is melted, add the chicken and cook for about 3-4 minutes a side.
Once the chicken is browned on both sides, place in the casserole dish and top with about a cup or so of the marinara sauce.
Top with the mozzarella and remaining romano and parmesan cheeses.

Place the casserole dish in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the top is bubbly and golden.

Serve with a side of pasta and remaining marinara sauce and a salad. Enjoy!





3 comments:

Katherine Aucoin said...

You have my favorites cheeses in this dish. I like the idea of the panko crumbs, I was wondering how they would work with chicken since chicken needs to cook a while and panko crumbs tend to burn quickly. I'm going to have to tey this since I love panko crbums, chicken and the 3 cheeses.

Reeni♥ said...

I love your version of Chicken Parm! It sure livens up the kind of boring traditional one. I have a wicked craving now.

Calm In The Kitchen said...

Katherine, I was a little worried about that too, but I finish cooking the chicken in the oven and with the sauce/cheese on top, it seems to keep from over browning the panko crumbs.

Reeni, I loved this recipe, it was even better the next day!

;)amy