Thursday, January 8, 2009

BB: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes


I have something to admit: I don't make breakfast. When it comes to breakfast, I really have no idea how to do anything with an egg except to scramble it. And that would probably only be for one of my sous chefs. In the morning during the week, I make oatmeal for my kids and I usually have a bagel or yogurt for myself. When the weekend comes, my hubby is a rock star. Breakfast, you see, is his domain. He makes any kind of egg you could wish for, can whip up french toast with leftover challah if you requested it, and honestly makes the best bagel sandwich. Yeah, I have it good.

With that said, I have never made pancakes from a mix. If I'm cooking them, I'll make them from scratch. Of course, I curse and question myself about how big of an amount to put on the pan, how long to wait before turning, and generally act as though I haven't been in a kitchen before. So, when the Barefoot Blogger recipe for this week was Ina's Banana Sour Cream Pancakes, let's just say I was excited to make them, but nervous as I made them.
To ease my mind, my sous chef helped me mix saying (and I quote), "It'll be fine, mom...don't worry. Daddy will make eggs, too."


I didn't get any pics of the final pancakes, but they turned out great. I wish that the recipe was more specific in telling me exactly how big of an amount to put in the pan (a "ladle full" can mean a lot of things), but other than that, it turned out great. Since I followed her recipe exactly, there was no need to put any butter on these babies...they were butter-iffic. I do wish that I had made some melted berries to put on them, but I didn't think of that until after I was already eating at the table.

Would I make them again? Probably. We always have extra bananas that quickly ripen. The addition of them to anything is always good. But, I'll hold off until I start making breakfast for dinner and leave the actual breakfast for the hubs. After all, every cook needs some time off. ;)

This week's recipe was chosen by Karen of Something Sweet by Karen and was our first Barefoot Bloggers recipe of 2009!

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes
source: Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, page 177

1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Unsalted butter
2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
Pure maple syrup

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles.
Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes.
Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned.
Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned.
Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used.
Serve with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup.

5 comments:

♥Reeni said...

They sound yummy! I love banana pancakes. I have never seen a pancake recipe with sour cream in it! I really want to try these for that reason.

Katherine Aucoin said...

You had my attention at sour cream. I bet these were decadent!
You have a wonderful blog, I am looking forward to making this one of my regular stops.

karen said...

you know, i forgot to mention it on my post but your pet peeve was also my pet peeve regarding the ladle. sounds like you do have it good with your rock star husband! my boyfriend is a way better cook than me, he cooks really fancy stuff i'd be having anxiety attacks over. i love it when he gets in the mood to cook, which sadly is almost never!

1freshstart said...

I love your blog! Calm in the kitchen is my mantra as well... cooking is my relaxation after a long day of work.

Can you send your hubs to educate MY hubs on the finery of cooking breakfast for the little miss? I would greatly appreciate it.

I was nervous as well making these, I actually used my large cookie baller (looks like an ice cream scoop) for most of them, then switched to the 1" scoop at the end to make some cute little guys. Fear not! They turned out great!

~Cat

Calm In The Kitchen said...

Thanks for the compliments ladies! Sour cream is an ingredient that Ina seems to use a lot with anything involving cake...she is definitely on to something!

Cat, thank you for the tip on using the cookie scoop...that one I'll definitely try next time! I'll see if I can't get Mr. Calm in the Kitchen to share his breakfast skills!

;) amy